Super League Sunday: Tigers denied by Hull, while Rovers and Wildcats also lose out

HULL FC remain in control of their own destiny for a top-eight finish after edging out Castleford Tigers in a KC Stadium thriller.

Castleford Tigers' Denny Solomona prepares to hold off Hull FC's Jordan Rankin. Picture: Anna Gowthorpe.

Lee Radford’s side did it the hard way coming from 14-6 down at the interval to claim the much-needed victory which moves them four points ahead of their neighbours Hull KR, who lost at Salford, five days before the two sides meet at the KC Lightstream Stadium.

Tom Lineham scored a second-half brace, while Richard Whiting and Jordan Abdull added a try apiece as Marc Sneyd kicked over two conversions and a 72nd-minute drop goal as the hosts withstood a Tigers fightback that almost saw them take the spoils.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Salford Red Devils produced a spectacular second-half comeback to make it a winning start for new director of rugby Tim Sheens in a 31-18 triumph over Hull Kingston Rovers.

The Red Devils trailed 18-4 at the break to an Albert Kelly inspired Rovers before running in five tries without reply.

Theo Fages’ try five minutes from the end of a thrilling contest put Salford in front for the first time before Michael Dobson slotted over a drop goal against his old club. Salford still had time to add a sixth try through Niall Evalds while Josh Griffin, Weller Hauraki and Ben Jones-Bishop also crossed in a one-sided second half.

Kelly, the ex Gold Coast half back took his Rovers try tally to 17 this season with a first-half double - Tyrone McCarthy also scoring - before they capitulated with sub Liam Hood outstanding for the Red Devils.

Tony Smith got one over on his older brother Brian as Warrington kept alive their top-four hopes with a hard-fought 40-20 win at bottom club Wakefield Trinity Wildcats.

Australian half-back Jacob Miller scored all four tries for the Wildcats, who again showed some encouraging signs of a revival in atoning for the humiliation of an 80-0 Super League record equalling defeat by the Wolves in April.

But it was not enough to deny Warrington and their coach the spoils in the first head-to-head coaching clash of brothers in Super League.

It was a sixth successive away win by Warrington over the Yorkshiremen and was never really in doubt from the moment they took a seventh minute lead.

Elsewhere, two well-taken tries from winger Paddy Flynn helped Widnes end their five-game losing streak with a 29-22 win against the misfiring Catalans Dragons.

Flynn’s two scores, one either side of the interval, handed the Vikings the edge and confidence to finish off the visitors and finally give their home supporters something to cheer about in what has been a dismal period for Denis Betts’ team.

Despite a late flurry, the Dragons ran out of steam at a crucial stage and paid the ultimate price. The French outfit raced to a two-try lead and were looking strong, but lost their way and surrendered to a Widnes fightback - conceding 29 unanswered points.