Tyrer leads Halifax to victory as centre’s kicking game proves key

Have your say

Halifax returned to winning ways in the Championship with this hard-fought home win over Dewsbury Rams.

Richard Marshall’s side led 12-8 at the break before going on to clinch victory, with centre Steve Tyrer producing another impeccable kicking performance to round out a crucial victory.

The first half was a war of attrition, with neither side really looking capable of puncturing their opponents’ defence with any degree of regularity.

Halifax broke the deadlock on 12 minutes when half back Gareth Moore, whose running game was one of the contest’s few genuine threats, danced past two defenders and touched down by the posts for Tyrer to convert.

But a knock on from Halifax winger Tommy Saxton gave Dewsbury a chance to reply immediately and they took it, Dalton Grant scoring in the corner and James Glover kicked the conversion.

Dewsbury went ahead when Glover, whose spiralling kicks towards Potts had represented their best chance of success, landed a 40 metre penalty.

Halifax regained the advantage just before the break though, Moore hoisting the ball across the field and Potts pouncing to score in the corner, Tyrer again on target.

Halifax started the second half with more urgency and stretched their lead to 18-8 when Scott Murrell’s kick and Ed Barber’s leap and sleight of hand put Adam Tangata over the line, Tyrer converting.

A Tyrer penalty stretched the lead to 20-8, but a Etu Uaisele try, converted by Glover, gave Dewsbury hope at 20-14.

But with Halifax becoming increasingly dominant, Tyrer added a penalty six minutes from time to give the home side an eight point gap at 22-14, with Murrell’s last-play drop goal finishing the job.

Halifax: Greenwood; Saxton, Smeaton, Tyrer, Potts; G. Moore, Johnston; Bennion, Kaye, Ambler, Manning, Barber, Fairbank. Substitutes: Murrell, Cahalane, Tangata, Maneely

Dewsbury: Guzdek; Morton, Uaisele, Crookes, Grant; Glover, Kain; Jackson, Speakman, Walker, Hale, Grady, Farrell. Substitutes: Brown, Conroy, Teanby, Trout

Referee: M. Woodhead (RFL).