Lyne expecting Wakefield to face tough task

Wakefield Trinity's Reece Lyne.
Wakefield Trinity's Reece Lyne.
Have your say

Returning centre Reece Lyne insists there is no danger of in-form Wakefield Trinity relaxing ahead of tonight’s trip to Salford Red Devils.

During a stunning run that has garnered nine wins from their last 10 games, Trinity have beaten both last season’s Grand Finalists – Wigan Warriors and Leeds Rhinos – as well as this year’s Super League leaders Warrington Wolves and Catalans Dragons.

They are the team that everyone is talking about and, therefore, the visit to 10th-placed Salford could be seen, by some, as a simple affair, especially considering the Reds’ prolific winger Justin Carney is suspended.

However, Lyne – named in the 19-man squad after making an early return from a torn hamstring – maintained: “Salford will be a massive challenge. Obviously they lost those points (for a salary cap breach) so at the minute every game is pretty much a must-win for them.

“They’re at home, are a very good team and an attacking team.

“They’ve got some great halves so they’ll be a threat and they will be looking at this match as a chance to close the gap on us so it’ll be a massive game for both teams.”

Former Hull FC centre Lyne had scored four tries in the opening 10 games of the year before being sidelined.

“It’s been very frustrating,” he said. “I felt as though I was getting into a bit of good form and then with the team winning it was great to be involved in.

“The lads have carried that on though and it’s been great to see them picking up the wins, but obviously frustrating not being out there as well, so I’m really delighted to be back fit now.”

Meanwhile, Wakefield have been fined £1,000 for breaching RFL operational rules on concussion. The club have been punished for failing to remove captain Danny Kirmond from the field for assessment during their 18-16 Super League win at Widnes last month despite showing signs of concussion.

Huddersfield Giants were the previous club to be reprimanded for breaching such guidelines. They were fined £1,000 last October for leaving Luke Robinson on the field during a game against Castleford.