WATCH - Hull FC 27 Wakefield Trinity 26: Ice-cool goal-kicker Sneyd is man for all seasons

IT SEEMS there are no end to Marc Sneyd's kicking talents.

The back-to-back Lance Todd Trophy winner has produced some remarkable feats with his left foot in his time.

But the Hull FC scrum-half arguably surpassed them all on Easter Monday with a stunning drop-goal from inside his own half to snatch a dramatic 27-26 win over Wakefield Trinity with just 89 seconds remaining.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Even his own coach could scarcely believe what he had seen especially given the awful rain-sodden conditions at the KCOM Stadium.

“I didn’t think he had a chance,” said Lee Radford, as the 52m effort completed a third successive win for the East Yorkshire side.

“I said to my assistant it’s too far out to execute now. But then he did. It was unbelievable to get it over in that rain, too, with the ball as wet as it was and the surface so damp.

“And it still sailed over with about another 10 metres to spare. We do make life hard for ourselves, though.

“I thought in the first half we didn’t give ourselves any chance. We walked into the changing rooms at around 50 per cent completion and they’d scored three tries off our errors.

Marc Sneyd

“But we sorted a few things out and now we start preparing for St Helens away on Friday, our third game in eight days. There’s not much time to do much, to be fair.”

Hull had trailed 18-8 at half-time but led four times, pressing ahead in the second period as Fetuli Talanoa continued his impressive form with two more tries.

Still, Wakefield – who had lost their previous three games – seemed to have rescued a point when Mason Caton-Brown intercepted from 45m out to add his second try in the 72nd minute, James Batchelor levelling at 26-26.

Trinity’s Ryan Hampshire then had one drop-goal attempt that never really got off the ground, before Hull ventured close only to see Justin Horo force an error.

Mason Caton-Brown

A rampaging Pauli Pauli got Wakefield in position again only for Jacob Miller to be forced wide by some defiant defence, the ex-Hull stand-off only able to dab a grubber in, and it proved critical as Sneyd then stepped up.

It has been a good Easter for Hull who claimed the Good Friday derby at Hull KR despite playing most of it with just 12 men.

They made four changes here, including giving French full-back Hakim Miloudi a debut which, in the words of Radford, with two costly errors was a “baptism of fire.”

Wakefield made six changes and have now lost four successive games but they should have got something from this.

Lee Radford.

Hull had barely been in Wakefield’s half during the first quarter but went ahead via Sneyd’s 18th-minute penalty and then added a chaotic try via Jordan Abdull in the next set, too.

However, Miller pounced onto the ball when Miloudi dropped his second pass of the afternoon and sped away for Bill Tupou to score in the 24th minute.

Hull imploded with yet another coughed up pass in their own half, prop Chris Green this time the guilty pass, allowing full-back Max Jowitt – in for Scott Grix – to supply a fine cut-out ball to send left-winger Tupou in for his second try.

They added a third before the break when Miloudi gathered the ball under the shadow of his own sticks but haplessly lost it again as Tyler Randell tackled, Caton-Brown capitalising.

Second-row Batchelor – kicking impeccably in place of the rested Liam Finn – maintained his 100 per cent record with the boot to give Wakefield that 18-8 interval lead they certainly deserved.

As is so often the case, though, Albert Kelly got Hull back into the game with a trademark try, gliding through in the 48th minute after Talanoa initially broke and Miloudi was held up.

Chris Chester

Sneyd’s conversion narrowed the deficit further but he put them ahead six minutes later.

Wakefield seemed to have averted the danger, scrambling to deny Bureta Faraimo but Caton-Brown switched off and inched in on the last tackle, allowing Sneyd to loft a chip for Talanoa to claim his first.

Sneyd improved from wide out but Batchelor soon levelled on the hour mark after Miloudi was penalised for interference on Reece Lyne.

Still, Hull clearly had found their rhythm and, after Faraimo broke down the right edge to be denied by Jowitt, some simple handling to the left saw prolific Aucklander Talanoa in for his second in the 64th minute.

After a brace against Hull KR on Friday, it sees him now outright at the top of the try-scoring charts on 11. Sneyd converted and, at that point, Radford’s side seemed in control only to gift Trinity a way back in as Caton-Brown intercepted .

But ice-cool Sneyd had the last laugh and Radford admitted: “After being down to 12 men on Friday, our effort again today was fantastic.

“We just need to be a little smarter.”

Hull FC: Miloudi; Faraimo, Connor, Griffin, Talanoa; Kelly, Sneyd; Paea, Washbrook, Bowden, Minichiello, Turgut, Abdull. Substitutes: Taylor, Green, Fash, Litten.

Wakefield Trinity: Jowitt; Caton-Brown, Lyne, Arundel, Tupou; Miller, Hampshire; Huby, Randell, Hirst, Ashurst, Batchelor, Horo. Substitutes: Wood, Pauli, Arona, Baldwinson.

Referee: Liam Moore (Wigan).

Marc Sneyd
Mason Caton-Brown
Lee Radford.
Chris Chester