Whitehaven 12 Halifax 12: Moore rescues Fax with late try to keep top-four hopes alive

editorial image
Have your say

An under-par Halifax were grateful for a 12-12 draw on a torrid night at Whitehaven, half back Gareth Moore scoring with seconds remaining to keep their top-four Championship ambitions alive.

On an error-strewn night, Richard Marshall’s side were heading for defeat at 12-6 until Moore dummied through on the left and centre Steve Tyrer landed a high pressure conversion to level the scores.

Neither side gave any quarter during the opening minutes, but Halifax had a couple of chances. Ben Heaton intercepted and raced away down the right, only to be rounded up by the defence, before Adam Tangata and Steve Tyrer put Will Sharp away, but the cover converged as the winger headed down centre field.

In an increasingly scrappy contest, that was it as far as scoring chances went for either side until Ed Chamberlain touched down for Whitehaven on the left.

Louis Jouffret put the conversion wide, but atoned with a penalty to put Haven 6-0 ahead.

The second half commenced in the same vein and Whitehaven went further ahead, Connor Holliday strolling through to score.

Jouffret kicked the conversion for a 12-0 lead, but the full-back was less skilled at the other end, spilling Gareth Moore’s high kick.

The visitors made the most of the chance, Murrell kicking to the left where Sharp caught the ball in acres of space to score.

Tyrer added the conversion for a 12-6 scoreline and Haven had a let off soon after Jouffret floundered again under another kick.

Haven almost scored again when Grant Gore raced clear, but Miles Greenwood rounded him up 10 metres before the line.

Halifax spent most of the last 10 minutes on the attack, but with the ball ending up on the floor with regularity and the defence holding firm, they were heading for defeat until Moore finally split the line.

Halifax: Greenwood; Sharp, Heaton, Tyrer, Eccleston; G. Moore, Murrell; Cahalane, Kaye, Tangata, Manning, Sarsfield, Fairbank. Substitutes: Johnston, Ambler, Grix, Boyle

Whitehaven: Jouffrey; Ince, Chamberlain, Holliday, Calvert; Aiye, Gore; Duffy, Coyle, Walker, Allan, Perez, Brocklebank. Substitutes: Carberry, Chapelhow, Riley, Fox.

Referee: T. Grant (RFL).