Widnes 26 Halifax 12: Fax errors prove costly as Vikings cling to survival hopes

Halifax's Scott Murrell
Halifax's Scott Murrell
Have your say

Super League side Widnes won the battle of the winless teams in the Super 8s Qualifiers, beating Halifax 26-12 at the Halton Stadium.

It was the home side who seized an early lead, with the visitors, who had already had a Shane Grady touchdown chalked off by the video referee, largely the authors of their own misfortune with some crucial unforced errors.

A crazy offload from Dan Fleming 10 metres from his own line paved the way for Weller Hauraki’s opening try, with Krisnan Inu converting.

And when a mix up between Will Sharp and James Woodburn-Hall, both players going for Finn’s kick, saw the ball end up on the floor, Inu trampled a couple of defenders to score in the corner, with the missed conversion leaving Fax trailing 10-0 inside the first quarter.

Slowly, Fax were finding their feet and they finally cracked their hosts five minutes before the break.

Scott Murrell was the architect, finding Woodburn-Hall with a neat inside ball and the Londoner barrelling over a couple of defenders to score.

Grady converted against his hometown club for 10-6 and the visitors kept the pressure on until the break.

It was Widnes who opened the second half scoring through Patrick Ah Van, frustratingly from more errors – Saltonstall turning the ball over and Ben Heaton failing to nail his man – with Inu’s sideline kick putting them 16-6 up.

When Inu completed his hat-trick from an Ah Van knock down and converted again, the Vikings were home and hosed at 22-6 with 17 minutes remaining.

Fax did get some reward for their endeavour when Woodburn-Hall’s break created the position for Heaton to put Saltonstall over in the corner, Murrell converting to make it 22-12.

But it was Widnes who sealed the points with Ah Van’s last minute try, maintaining their tenuous survival hopes.

Widnes: Mellor; Ah Van, Inu, Runciman, Buckley; Lyons, Finn; Gubb, White, Houston, Hauraki, Hansen, Leuluai. Substitutes: Walker, Chapelhow, Olbison, Wilde

Halifax: Sharp; Saltonstall, Heaton, Butler, Woodburn-Hall; Murrell, Johnston; Fleming, Kaye, Fairbank, Tangata, Grady, Davies. Substitutes: Jones, Moore, Cooper, Maher

Referee: G. Hewer.