Wigan 48 Huddersfield 10: Giants suffer McGillvary injury blow in defeat

Wigan Warriors made it three Super League wins on the bounce as they ran in nine tries to hammer Huddersfield Giants 48-10.

Huddersfield Giants' Jermaine McGillvary.

Wigan never really looked in any danger as they went in at half-time 28-4 in front with Huddersfield’s only score coming from a Wigan error.

Tom Davies put the Warriors in front, before Huddersfield responded with an interception try from Jermaine McGillvary.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Further tries from Davies, Oliver Gildart, Joe Burgess and John Bateman saw Wigan in full control at the break.

Wigan didn’t need to be at their best in the second period as the damage had already been done, but a fine solo try from George Williams and further scores from Ryan Sutton, Willie Isa and another from Burgess saw them cruise to victory to leave Huddersfield with just two wins all season.

The Warriors scored with their first attack of the game as Sam Tomkins linked up from the back and sent a long cut-out ball for Davies to steam onto and touch down in the corner.

The hosts looked menacing and Tomkins spotted an overlap and sent over another long ball - this time down the left - only to see it intercepted by McGillvary, who raced 50 metres to score.

The Giants enjoyed a lot of possession deep in Wigan’s half, but they were unable to get their noses in front.

After spending a good seven minutes defending their own line, the Warriors marched downfield and extended their lead as Sam Powell’s early kick over was collected by Davies as he grabbed his second of the evening.

The Warriors were hitting their stride and back-to-back penalties saw them camp on Huddersfield’s line, which was breached again as Gildart went over on the left following good work from Williams.

The game was as good as over in the 31st minute when the Warriors ran in their fourth try as Williams again tormented Huddersfield on the left flank and sent Burgess in at the corner.

Bateman then went over on the hooter following more good work from Tomkins, the full-back converting both tries.

The Giants were handed a massive blow early in the second half as McGillvary limped out of the action following an innocuous challenge from Liam Farrell.

The Warriors extended their lead 12 minutes into the second-half as Williams spun away in the tackle to touch down, with Tomkins kicking his fifth conversion of the night before going off for a well-earned rest.

Huddersfield failed to take advantage of the few chances they had and paid for it as Ryan Sutton then crashed over to take the Warriors to 40.

Willie Isa managed to force his way over for the Warriors, while Huddersfield managed a late consolation when Ryan Hinchcliffe went over, but Wigan had the final say as Burgess grabbed his second.