Double delight for Hull sides as Depledge secures open Otley a win

Have your say

Huddersfield suffered a 23-17 defeat on their return to the fourth tier despite holding the lead going into the final five minutes.

Hosts Chester had an early penalty lead before Huddersfield hit back with the first try, courtesy of winger Elliot Hodgson whose touchdown was converted by centre Joel Hinchliffe. Chester took the lead with a penalty and a converted try to make it 13-7 at the interval.

The visitors rallied after the break through prop Nick Clark before a try by full-back Alex Batty put them ahead at 17-13.

A penalty reduced the gap to just one point and with pressure telling, Chester finally broke the line with five minutes remaining to grab a converted try which proved enough for victory.

Hull Ionians ran in six tries on their way to an emphatic 45-17 victory over Caldy.

Winger Jon Steel gave the the side relegated from National One the lead after 14 minutes, and further tries followed from wing Sam Wilson as well as a penalty try for Ionians who led 24-3 at the break with Isaac Green having kicked nine poinys.

After the break there were further tries by No 8 Alex Campbell and flanker Alex Torkington, and centre Steve Slingsby. Green added three more conversions to cap the win.

Hull got their National Two fixtures off to a great start when they beat hosts Preston Grasshoppers 16-11.

The visitors took the lead when winger Jesse Bright raced half the length of the pitch, to score. Hooker Jonathan Matthews crashed over five minutes later, and centre Tomasi Tanumi kicked a penalty from 45 yards out on 29 minutes to help Hull to a 13-3 lead at the break.

Hull stand-off James Cameron kicked a penalty just after the hour mark to keep Preston, who scored a late try, at arms length.

Harrogate’s well-organised defence could not keep Stourbridge at bay as they fell 
17-11. Harrogate went 10-0 down after a Gareth Bown penalty was followed by No 8 Chris Depper being driven over.

Two Callum Irvine penalties cut the deficit. A penalty try and Bown’s conversion put Stourbridge 17-6 ahead. Replacement back Mike Aspinall made a telling break, fed Irvine who kicked to the corner for flanker Noel Minikin to score.

Playing open, exciting rugby Otley defeated Birmingham and Solihull 25-23, but needed a Stephen Depledge goal in the final minute to win the game.

Jamie Sutton was rumbled over after which Depledge dummied at the base of a scrum before cutting inside to score. Michael Coady chipped to the posts for No 8 Jack Scott Hall to gather and dive over. Chris Goddard grounded Otley’s fourth before Depledge’s late kick.