Ferguson keeps Ionians ticking over as Tigers roar to victory against Caldy

Have your say

Hull Ionians continued their unbeaten start to the campaign with an impressive 28-10 win over Luctonians.

Ionians’ James Ferguson started the game with a penalty after seven minutes and his aim was true when they were once again awarded a penalty with half an hour played.

Inside centre Joseph Martin extended Ionians’ lead to 11-0, ten minutes later, with Ferguson adding the extras.

Geraint Langdon pulled the visitors back into the game just before the break with a try but Hull picked up where they left off in the second half with Ferguson adding another penalty.

Jonathan Steel and Benjamin Johnson wrapped up the points for Hull with tries in the 45th and 51st minutes and although No 8 Paul Hulland went over for Luctonians, Hull never looked in trouble.

Sheffield Tigers bagged a five-point haul when they beat Caldy 25-19 at Dore Moor.

Centre Jamie Broadley scoring after just four minutes, while stand-off Tom Outram added a penalty on 12 minutes.

After Caldy had hit back with two tries to lead 12-8, Tigers took a 13-12 lead at the break with flanker Ross White scoring on 35 minutes. Broadley’s second try came on 55 minutes, although the Cheshire side went 18-19 ahead with a converted try two minutes later.

But Pete Swatkins crashed over with five minutes left, Outram converting to secure victory.

A late flurry, three tries in the last eight minutes, earned Otley a bonus point in a 40-22 defeat at Darlington, but they had been unable to contain the strong running or ball killing of the home side who conceded 21 penalties to Otley’s three and picked up two yellow cards.

Starved of possession Otley probably tried too hard and were made to pay for their errors.

Tom Rock cut through to send James Twomey on a 45-metre run to the line. Unfortunately they suffered an onslaught as Mowden Park scored three tries before half-time.

Otley showed their worth late on, Ben Fairclough, William Rigg and Jonathan Matthews beating the whistle to salvage a point.

Hull narrowly lost out to Dudley Kingswinford in a tight 15-13 contest.

With both sides hitting a penalty in the opening 20 minutes, Nick Murphy put Dudley ahead 28 minutes in with a try from second row.

Hull were struggling to stamp their authority on the game, losing possession too easily and losing lineouts but managed to get to half-time just 10-6 down.

Winger Steve Slingsby scored their only try after the break, with Greg Lound adding the conversion.

But on the hour, Dudley winger Nick Adams went over to put the game to bed and leave Hull empty-handed.

Familiar errors surfaced again as Huddersfield slipped to a 25-10 defeat at Birmingham Solihull.

Dan Hyde’s men worked their way back from a deficit to be within touching distance, only to concede and see their momentum disrupted. Birmingham led with a penalty and a converted try in the first quarter, Tom Owen’s penalty pulling back three points before the break. A further kick and converted try at the start of the second half took the hosts to 20-3.

Just before the hour, centre Mike Clarke went on an individual run and, after beating two men, touched down to leave Owen a conversion that reduced the margin to just 10 points.

But the restart wasn’t secured and Birmingham worked their way up the pitch to score a third try.