Gallant Huddersfield forced to settle for one point after being edged out by Yorkshire rivals Otley

Stephen Depledge.
Stephen Depledge.
Have your say

HUDDERSFIELD’S 14 men almost provided a shock but had to settle for a point in a 20-15 National Two North home defeat by Otley.

The hosts had to play for over an hour without their full contingent after flanker Gaz Lewis was sent off for use of the foot.

Otley were already 7-0 up at that stage, Jonathan Matthews having profited from good work by the forwards.

Huddersfield rallied with five points from their own front-row in the shape of Tony Stringwell after full-back Tom Owen had provided the space.

However, Otley went on to set up a 17-5 lead before the interval with scrum-half Stephen Depledge finding his way through and fly-half Ben Cooper adding a penalty to his two successful conversions despite the terrible conditions.

The home side came out in determined fashion after the break and narrowed the gap after only two minutes when Owen made a mockery of the boggy pitch to wrongfoot the opposition’s back three, with Luke Booth on hand to add the conversion.

Cooper landed a penalty for Otley to increase their advantage, but they looked anything but comfortable.

Huddersfield dominated the final quarter, despite their numerical disadvantage, and were awarded no fewer than seven penalties as they piled on the pressure.

Try as they might, though, that vital third try was not forthcoming and they had to settle for a penalty five minutes from time to ensure they took a point.

Hull Ionians secured a deserved 28-5 victory over City rivals Hull at the Ferens Ground in National Two North.

But the win was marred by a potentially serious injury to stand-off James Ferguson, who suffered a head injury and was taken off the pitch in an ambulance.

Ionians got off the mark with 
No 8 Daniel Hague crashing over on 22 minutes.

Ferguson missed the conversion, and late in the half he was taken off to hospital and replaced by Isaac Green.

Centre Chris Reakes took over kicking duties in place of Ferguson, and he slotted over penalties on in the 42nd, 44th and 55th minutes as Ionians punished repeated indiscipline in the Hull ranks.

The home side opened their account with full-back Jamie Wigglesworth touching down on 51 minutes, but it was to prove their only score.

Hull were penalised for collapsing the scrum on several occasions and, on 65 minutes, referee Robert Warburton awarded the visitors a penalty try which Reakes converted to take the score to 21-5.

Four minutes later, prop Stephen Johnson bagged a try following a forwards drive close to the line after a good spell of pressure.

Reakes converted to finish the job off.

Sheffield Tigers’ match at Preston Grasshoppers was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch, but only after they had made the journey to Lancashire.

Scarborough reached the quarter-finals of the Yorkshire Shield when they won 20-13 at Pontefract on Saturday.

Winger Matthew Young and centre Tom Ratcliffe bagged tries, and Ratcliffe kicked both conversions and two penalties.