Harrogate left kicking themselves but Wood’s late try earns a draw

Have your say

Hull and Harrogate battled out a thrilling 20-20 draw, with the North Yorkshire side scoring a late try with two minutes to go to earn a share of the spoils.

Stand-off Greg Lound kicked penalties for Hull on 17, 37 and 40 minutes to put his side 9-0 ahead at half-time, and they extended their lead with scrum-half Will Haddow touching down on 45 minutes despite being down to 13 men with two having been sin-binned.

Harrogate got off the mark with a penalty from Callum Irvine on 52 minutes but Lound matched it to take the score to 17-3.

Replacement forward Kyle Dench crashed over on 59 minutes and Irvine converted before Harrogate closed to 
17-15 when back-row Kerry Wood scored shortly after.

A drop goal from Lound edged Hull into a 20-15 lead, but the points were split after Wood bagged his second try with two minutes left. Harrogate missed the conversion and had failed with several other penalties.

Hull Ionians continued their unbeaten start with a 36-19 victory at struggling Broadstreet.

A second-half flurry of four tries helped them establish a convincing lead, though the home side hit back with two tries in the final 10 minutes.

Steve Slingsby gave Ionians the lead after 11 minutes, and although Broadstreet hit back through Bow Carney, on-loan back-row Phil Eggleshaw from Doncaster came off the bench to score another on 38 minutes.

After the break, centre Joe Barker and prop David Laverick touched down, the latter being converted by Chris Reakes to make it 22-5.

Forwards pressure led to two penalty tries converted by Isaac Green to put the visitors 36-5 ahead.

Stephen Depledge was on target as Otley beat Chester 23-5 at home.

He kicked the only penalty of the error-strewn first half when Chester lost their kicker, William Goodwin, through injury.

Winger Kristian Sharples dived in at the corner for the opening try after the break. Depledge converted and kicked two more penalties before converting the final try from Jamie Sutton.

Huddersfield secured their first win, a hard-fought 10-7 success at home to Stourbridge.

The visitors led 7-0 after five successive scrums. Fly-half Joel Hinchliffe landed a penalty for Huddersfield before the break.

The winning try materialised for Huddersfield just after the hour. Captain Nick Sharp went on a marauding run from inside his own half before offloading to second-row Richard Brown, who finished off the move.

Hinchliffe added the conversion for a 10-7 lead which Huddersfield’s defence guarded until the end.