Hartlepool United 0 Guiseley 1: Southwell strikes dramatic winner for Lions

Guiseley gained a dramatic win against Hartlepool United thanks to a Dayle Southwell winner.

Guiseley's Dayle Southwell netted the winner for Guiseley at Hartlepool United on Easter Monday. PIC: James Hardisty

The interim manager for Guiseley Sean St Ledger said afterwards: “This is a fantastic feeling, an important win that matched the result, Dayle gets the winner, I’m delighted.”

With a strong wind and plenty of rain throughout, it was tough conditions for both sides.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

This was an important game for the hosts who needed points to ensure they stay up while Guiseley were looking for their first away win of 2018.

Guiseley’s Southwell worked some space and shot from outside the area, his effort hit the side-netting though.

Hartlepool had more possession but could also create one clear-cut chance during the first half, when a Michael Woods corner found Louis Laing but his header went just wide.

The wind helped create a good chance for the visitors at the start of the season-half, when Joe Green’s clearance fell to Southwell who, from outside the area, tested Scott Loach.

Southwell would then have an even better chance, when Callum McFadzean passed to him but from eight yards out, he misplaced his effort wide.

This was an open game, with Woods seeing his cross to the face of the goal missing all the home attacking players.

Then McFadzean pulled a pass across goal towards Rowan Liburd but there was too much pace on it and it went out.

Southwell, though, would again get in a good place and he smashed home the winner, to send the Guiseley fans wild.

Hartlepool United: Loach, Magnay, Laing, Newton, Adams, Hawkins, Featherstone, Hawkes (Donaldson 78) Woods, Cassidy, Rodney (Oates 63). Unused subs: Catterick, Munns, Owen.

Guiseley: Green, Holden, Palmer, Flowers, Nirennold, Hatfield, Hudson (Hurst 45) Purver, Odejayi (Liburd 70) Roberts (McFadzean 56) Southwell. Unused subs: Williams, Paley.

Referee: Joe Hull.