Tigers dig deep as they drag Wharfedale into survival battle

Mark Ireland of Sheffield Tigers.
Mark Ireland of Sheffield Tigers.
Have your say

Sheffield Tigers finally ended their 12-game losing streak with a vital 14-8 victory at home to Yorkshire rivals Wharfedale in National Two North.

All Tigers’ points came before half-time, Jamie Broadley scored their only try and three penalties kicked by Mark Ireland helped them into a 14-0 lead.

Wharfedale hit back in the second half when Harry Bullough went over and after a successful penalty the comeback looked on, but the Tigers dug deep to secure a crucial four points.

Tigers moved off the bottom of the table, whilst Wharfedale, in 13th, are slowly getting dragged into the relegation picture themselves.

Otley ran in five tries as they won 32-8 against Scunthorpe.

A penalty, a try and a conversion from full-back Tom Hodson helped them to a 20-3 half-time lead with fly-half James White and winger Alex Beaumont also touching the ball down.

The home side picked up where they left off after the restart with Paul Petchey, who had replaced the injured Beaumont, scoring after 45 minutes.

On 53 minutes, Max Johnson wrapped up the points for Otley and Hodson was on hand to add the extras.

Harrogate suffered their first loss in four games after going down 28-15 at Leicester Lions.

Keane Naylor tries either side of the break weren’t enough for Harrogate with an Ian Smith brace and tries from Benji Marfo and Oli Taylor condemning them to defeat.

Sam Fox added the remainder of Harrogate’s tally with a conversion and a penalty.

Hull Ionians remain firmly in trouble at the foot of National One after a 47-19 defeat at Esher.

The visitors went into the game just four points behind their opponents but were on the back foot from the off as Esher raced into a 14-0 lead.

Ionians were competitive in the first half and hit back through Dan Tai’s try, then Phil Eggleshaw went over to reduce the arrears to 19-14, both scores successfully converted by Isaac Green.

The host pulled away, though, scoring four unanswered tries either side of the break to race into an unassailable lead, before Eggleshaw went over for his second try, which proved to be a consolation.

Ionians remain 14th in the table, level on points with Blaydon, who suffered a heavy defeat at leaders Hartpury.

Last year’s RFU Senior Vase champions West Leeds remain on track for a return to Twickenham after they beat hosts Novocastrians 76-0 in the Intermediate Cup.

Winger Mark Calderwood scored five tries, scrum-half Joe Bedford add three and winger Jack Marshall scored two, with the others coming from centre Sam Neave and 40-year-old replacement Phil Thompson.

Thornensians were 38-21 winners at North Shields in the RFU Senior Vase, while Goole also won on the road, 63-12 at Seghill in the RFU Junior Vase.

Huddersfield YMCA boosted their promotion hopes in North One East with a 36-10 win against struggling Guisborough.

YMCA had their fleet-footed wingers to thank for the edge with Stan Fletcher and Tom Bullock scoring two tries each.

Hooker Ben Hill added a fifth and Gavin Stead also crossed the whitewash as well as converting three.

Beverley ran out 16-10 winners away at North Ribblesdale in the only game of the day in Yorkshire Division One.

Jack Garvin scored their only try whilst Robert Smith kicked 11 points, as the visitors moved into 6th place whilst North Ribblesdale stay bottom despite earning a losing bonus point.

An entertaining running battle between Middlesbrough and Hullensians in the Yorkshire Shield quarter-finals saw Boro go through with a 61-36 victory.

It was an energetic end-to-end game but two tries each from Middlesbrough wingers Sean Maloney and Ben Wood helped their side to the winning line.

Conner Foley, Euan Tremlett, Shaun Kay and Callum Marshall also crashed over. Kieran Clark also scored a try on what was his home debut. Captain Matthew Todd converted all nine of the tries.