Losing run for Huddersfield ended by stalemate at home

Have your say

HUDDERSFIELD avoided defeat for the first time this season with a 13-13 draw against visitors Dudley Kingswinford.

The hosts ended a run of 10 defeats but despite building a half-time lead they couldn’t force a win. Dudley snatched the lead on nine minutes with a converted try and after Tommy Owen missed opportunities for Huddersfield with the boot, he finally landed his side’s first points in the 20th minute.

That was quickly followed by a try as a ball toed through the defence was fluffed by the visiting full-back, allowing centre Mike Clarke to cross the line. Leading 8-7, Dan Hyde’s men knew the next points were vital and in the build-up to half-time Scott Benson profited from some solid sniping work to extend the advantage to 13-7.

A nip and tuck second half saw Dudley draw first blood with a penalty on 52 minutes and a second on 66 to leave the game balanced on a knife-edge. Huddersfield ploughed forward looking to take the game by the scruff of the neck and were set for a drop-goal finale, only to see their hopes dashed by some dubious play in the ruck that escaped the officials’ attention.

n HULL Ionians suffered their first league defeat of the season when they lost out 27-22 at Caldy in Cheshire on Saturday.

Caldy hit the ground running with two early tries, and although Ionians pulled back level, they were never in front.

Centre Gavin Roberts scored on 12 and 23 minutes, stand-off Richard Vasey adding the extras for Caldy.

But Ionians hit back with No 8 Dan Hague and hooker Alex Forth touching down late in the half, stand-off Glenn Boyd kicking both conversions.

But a penalty just before the whistle by Vasey gave Caldy the edge, and they extended their lead to 24-14 with Roberts completing his hat-trick on 44 minutes, Vasey converting for a 24-14 lead.

Flanker Kerry Wood touched down with five minutes to go for the East Yorkshire side, but Vasey’s second penalty left Ionians shy of a losing bonus point. But replacement back Chris Reakes kicked a penalty in the closing seconds to ensure Ionians took a consolation point.

n Hull moved up the table after beating Leicester Lions 27-13.

Second row Chris Murphy touched down in the opening minute, and after Leicester’s centre Jon Boden had kicked a penalty shortly after, Hull extended their lead to 19-3 at the break with back row Rob Devonshire scoring and fly-half Tom Barrett kicking the conversion, as he did following Murphy’s second try on 40 minutes.

A penalty try for the Lions was converted by Boden, and a 53th minute penalty narrowed the scoreline to 19-13.

But Hull had the last word with Barratt kicking a 70th-minute penalty and flanker Tony Maka then touching down four minutes later.