Martin centre of attention with try hat-trick as Sandal triumph

Have your say

Sandal made it three successive wins with a hat-trick of tries from centre Dave Martin in their 39-34 success at Billingham.

Sandal trailed 21-3 but tries from flanker Sean Maguire and Martin reduced the deficit by half-time.

Billingham added another try before the turning point came with prop Luke Norbury pushing over from a line-out. A quick pair from Martin tipped the balance 32-28 in Sandal’s favour. Winger Gareth Newman scored to make it 39-28 and Billingham kicked two penalties.

Morley had victory snatched from them in the fourth minute of stoppage-time to lose by a point at home to Wirral.

Despite starting brightly with tries from Tom Moody and Tom Clough, the Maroons were 22-12 down in the third quarter.

Winger Bradley Marshall and captain Mark Chester appeared to have rescued them with tries after the hour but another Wirral score put them 29-26 down in the last nine minutes. A penalty try looked to have grabbed victory until winger Ali Baker slipped three tackles to steal a 34-33 win.

Huddersfield YMCA picked up a bonus point for tries scored but again saw a promising lead slip through their fingers in a 37-35 reverse at Sale.

The visitors took an early 5-0 lead which they extended to 18-5 before the hosts hit back. Having surrendered that lead to trail 27-21, two quick YMCA tries put them back in front 35-27, only to ship 10 points under pressure.

Cleckheaton came from behind twice to secure a valuable second win of the season, 17-14 at home to Rossendale.

It was not until the 22nd minute that the first score was posted when Rossendale No 8 Ryan McKibbon burst through for a try which was converted by Steve Nutt.

Cleckheaton’s pack increased their intensity and eight minutes later captain Richard Piper was driven over for their first try, converted by Ross Hayden.

The second half was just as close with converted tries from Paddy Pole for the visitors and a penalty try for Cleckheaton as their trademark rolling maul was pulled down illegally, maintaining the stalemate.

It was the home side who took the spoils with Ross Hayden’s penalty in the 65th minute.

Sheffield Tigers were too strong for Beverley and won 43-7 at Dore Moor.

Henry Packard took just five minutes to score the first try with Tom Outram converting before striking a penalty try. Packard crashed over for his second and a brace from Liam Wallace before the break gave the home side a 33-0 lead at half time.

Beverley did hit back just after the start of the second half but tries from Ed Simmons and Steve Destiounis ensured Tigers claimed the win.