Morley get their just rewards for making leaders battle all the way

Have your say

League leaders Huddersfield were forced to battle for the points in their 26-21 derby win over Morley, who came away with a losing bonus point.

The home side looked to have the game wrapped up in their customary dominating style by the second quarter, after winger Elliott Hodgson had run in two neat tries alongside a third from forward Robert Sykes. Full-back Tom Hodson converted all three to make it 21-0.

Morley stuck to their task and winger Bradley Marshall crossed on 28 minutes, Mark Chester converting to make the half-time score 21-7.

There was more to come from the Maroons and after steadying the ship they moved within seven points on 65 minutes with scrum-half Sean Dadswell wriggling over and Chester again adding the kick.

When Huddersfield scored their fourth try with Hodgson’s hat-trick on 70 minutes they looked home and dry.

But they were forced on to the backfoot for the remainder of the game, Morley deservedly earning a reward with the clock in the red when hooker Tom Moody broke through the defence and Chester converted to make the final score 26-21.

Bradford and Bingley were able to close the gap on fellow strugglers Percy Park after narrowly beating them 22-20 – although it required a missed conversion in the dying seconds to seal a nail-biting win.

The visitors were first on the score sheet in the fourth minute as Michael Langlands burrowed over to the left of the posts.

Two tries in as many minutes, however, saw the home side ahead – flanker Chris Fisher first over the line in the 18th minute before winger Adam Wellington followed him over soon after, with scrum-half Richard Scull’s conversion of the latter giving The Bees a 12-5 half-time lead.

Both sides continued to play running rugby, Percy Park being rewarded two minutes into the second half by Toby Davidson.

Adam Malthouse then burst through in the 50th minute to make it 
17-10, only for Olly Walker to reply for the visitors three minutes later

Malthouse’s second try looked to have sealed victory, something which was only confirmed in the final moments when Jack Davidson’s late try could not be converted.

Beverley eventually cruised to a comfortable 25-10 victory over Sandal after a hard-fought and exciting match at Beaver Park.

The East Yorkshire side eventually took the lead on 22 minutes with stand-off Phil Duboulay kicking a penalty and, just before the half-hour mark, wing forward Aaron Carrol touched down to put Beverley 8-0 ahead.

Full-back Ian Jackson kicked a penalty for Sandal just before half time, but Beverley held firm into the second half.

Centre Junior Tupai extended their lead on 54 minutes with their second try of the afternoon, and it was followed eight minutes later by a third try from flanker James Holland, Duboulay converting neatly to give his side a 20-3 lead.

Sandal were not finished though, and second row James Stewart’s 67th-minute try was converted by Jackson to narrow the gap to 20-10.

However, Beverley made sure of victory when No 8 Tonci Buzov crashed over on 74 minutes.