National Three (North): Bussey’s try-double helps Beverley restore pride in defeat to Tigers

Have your say

Promotion hopefuls Sheffield Tigers had to work hard for victory at bottom of the table Beverley, who came back strongly after a heavy 103-point defeat the previous week.

The sides were level at half-time, a Tigers’ try by Henrie Packard and conversion by Tom Outram being cancelled out by Beverley’s try from Sam Atiola and conversion by Phil Duboulay.

Outram’s penalty early in the second half put Tigers ahead, but Beverley recaptured the lead with a try by Richard Bussey.

Tries by Peter Swatkins and Nicholas Pearson, one converted, took Tigers 10 points clear but Bussey’s second try converted by Duboulay brought Beverley back to finish within three points, enough to grab a valuable losing bonus point.

Sandal took maximum points with a 29-7 home win over Billingham, with the hosts’ forwards proving dominant.

Sandal’s scrum controlled the play throughout, allowing the backs to build a 12-0 lead by half-time with tries from centre Kieran Moffat and Simon Frewin.

Winger Frewin added his second shortly after the break and scrum-half Joe Bedford also went over.

The pack underlined their prowess by earning a penalty-try which fly-half Mark Pease converted with his second successful kick to wrap-up the scoring.

Huddersfield YMCA suffered a 56-12 defeat at Sale to leave them without a win in seven games.

The visitors conceded the majority of their points before they were able to score in the latter stages through replacement Noel Murphy and head coach Mark Whitehead. Full-back Gavin Stead added one conversion in difficult conditions.

Morley saw their winless run extended to six games with a 16-8 defeat at Wirral. The Maroons were hoping for victory against a side locked in the bottom four with them, but only one place better off.

However, they were forced to leave empty-handed as Wirral’s forwards dominated proceedings in heavy conditions.

Cleckheaton were good value for a 22-20 bonus-point victory at a windswept Rossendale.

Despite the conditions both teams strove manfully to gain the upper hand but it was Cleckheaton’s domination of territory and obvious team spirit which won the day.

Tries from Martin Woodhead and Lee Queeley in the first half and Josh Plunkett and Ross Hayden in the second put the visitors in control. Hayden managed to land one conversion in the gale and this proved vital as the hosts countered with three tries, including a penalty try, one conversion and a penalty from full-back Steve Nutt.