RFU deny Mallett approach

England head coach Stuart Lancaster watches his players, during the captain's run at the City of Manchester Stadium, Manchester.(Pictrue: Martin Rickett/PA Wire)
England head coach Stuart Lancaster watches his players, during the captain's run at the City of Manchester Stadium, Manchester.(Pictrue: Martin Rickett/PA Wire)
0
Have your say

The Rugby Football Union has denied making contact with Nick Mallett over the role of England head coach.

Mallett, speaking to the South Africa media, claims to have received a call from the RFU earlier this week after England’s World Cup demise plunged the future of Stuart Lancaster into doubt.

“There is a clear process at the conclusion of England’s tournament, which starts with the review. No pre-judgements have been made nor anyone contacted,” an RFU spokesperson said.

Mallett coached the Springboks from 1997 to 2000 and spent four years at the helm of Italy before his reign ended in 2011.

The 58-year-old, currently working as an analyst on South African television, was interviewed for the England position in 2012 but the RFU opted for Lancaster after the Cumbrian had presided over an encouraging RBS 6 Nations on a caretaker basis.

“I’m not going to consider it. I was keen for the challenge in 2011, but not anymore. I’m enjoying my current job,” Mallett is reported to have said at a Blue Bulls media breakfast on Thursday.

Lancaster is preparing his team for Saturday’s final World Cup match against Uruguay at Manchester City Stadium after successive defeats by Wales and Australia knocked England out of the World Cup.

“I didn’t know that to be honest, that’s just the nature of the situation we are in. For me it’s a case of getting on with the day job,” Lancaster said.