Scarborough and West Leeds on cusp of Twickenham showdown

Have your say

Sandal claimed five points by the skin of their teeth with a 
24-18 win at Rossendale in the first of their games in hand.

They went into the game knowing maximum points would put them level with Sale on 94 points at the top, but with an additional game up their sleeves that could potentially land them the title.

Rossendale led 15-0 at half-time with three unconverted tries. Sandal hit back with two unconverted tries from scrum-half Joe Bedford and wing Ralph Cartwright to cut the lead to five points and finally went ahead when full-back Tom Coad crossed and fly-half Mark Pease converted to put his side 17-15 in front.

Rossendale kicked a penalty to lead by a point, forcing the visitors to attack to the end.

Eventually a stolen lineout led to a break from halfway and centre Simon Frewin outpaced his man to feed James Ellar, who went between the posts, leaving a simple conversion.

Beverley defeated fellow strugglers Westoe 12-10 in a scrappy encounter at Beaver Park.

The East Yorkshire side took the lead with an interception try by fly-half Ryan Murray, but Westoe drew level with a try by centre Tom King and then went ahead early in the second half with another from Jack Hope.

A try by flanker Craig Hancock drew Beverley level with a fine conversion from Murray in the fierce wind sealing the victory.

The win leaves Beverley still bottom of the table, but just three points behind Westoe.

Scarborough are one step away from Twickenham after beating Blackburn 26-0 in the Northern Final of the RFU Intermediate Cup.

They led 14-0 at the break. A catch-and-drive led to prop Mark Hopper touching down, fly-half Tom Harrison converting, before he added the extras on the stroke of half-time following a second try from prop Paul Taylor.

Blackburn pressed for the first 10 minutes of the second half, but Scarborough defended resolutely and extended their lead with flanker Eamon Chapman scoring twice, Harrison adding one conversion.

They will play at home again in the semi-finals, against Midlands outfit Bridgnorth, on April 4.

West Leeds edged into the national semi-finals of the Senior Vase after an 18-13 win over visitors Liverpool Collegiate.

Two penalties from stand-off Dale Breakwell were cancelled out by a converted try for Liverpool, who led at half-time.

Collegiate extended their lead to 10-6 with a penalty, but centre Daniel Booth touched down and Breakwell converted to put West Leeds 13-10 ahead.

The visitors added a second penalty on the hour mark to level the game, before centre and captain Sam Neave touched down with 10 minutes left to clinch the win.