Waterloo 15 Otley 37 Champions Otley head back up in fine style

OTLEY duly completed their immediate return to National One, inflicting on Waterloo their biggest defeat of the season with second-row Howard Parr grabbing a brace of tries and winger Steve Parsons completing a hat-trick in added time to secure the bonus which took them a point clear of second-placed Manchester.

Aware of what was required, they spent the first 23 minutes entirely in the home half and went 15 points ahead.

Although Waterloo broke away to score a try, Otley restored that lead and an early second-half converted try had the game sewn up.

The home pack soon knew they had a battle on their hands when Parr was driven over after five minutes, Alistair Monks converting from the touchline. As Waterloo continued to struggle, second-row Alistair Davidson was shown a yellow card. They foiled yet another drive but the ball went blindside for Parsons to crash over.

Monks added a penalty but Otley conceded a penalty at the restart and a quick tap had them on the back foot and winger Matt Bradley went in at the corner.

This gave the home side confidence to go on the offensive but they were second-best in the forward battle and Parr claimed his second try after another tremendous drive.

Coming out from the break full of confidence, Otley soon had Parsons over in the corner to bring out another fine conversion from Monks.

When centre Jonathan Buchanan received a yellow card for killing the ball, Waterloo took advantage, grabbing a couple of tries in five minutes through winger Neil Kerfoot and second-row John Nugent.

They were immediately back under pressure, going off-side in front of the posts, Otley captain Ian Shuttleworth kicking the penalty and he converted from a similar spot when Parsons completed some slick handling by cutting inside to score.

Waterloo: Loader; Kerfoot, Lowdon, Duffy, Bradley; Davies, Parrot; Pani, Ince, Jones (Nutall 65), Nugent, Davidson, Jones, Shaw, York.

Otley: Shuttleworth; Parsons, Buchanan, Mooney, Smith; Monks (Dench 52), Easterby; Turner (Trethewey 48, Turner 74-79), Sayers, Fullman (Wederell 48), Snowball, Parr (Andre 52), Stockdale, Hyde, Lewis.

Referee: A Vertigan.

Milestone celebration for Hindle

Wharfedale 41 Halifax 10

In a final flourish to a creditable season, Wharfedale recorded their seventh successive home win and their highest total of the season in a six-try demolition of bottom-club Halifax.

In the process, Wharfedale moved one place above Southend to finish in seventh.

Halifax, as they have done for most of their season, tackled resolutely and spiritedly throughout what was for them another punishing match but their lack of any effective capacity in attack condemned them to another fruitless afternoon.

They did open the scoring after 15 minutes when winger David Hall's powerful run finished off a series of close drives near the line and Joe Knowles converted.

Wharfedale responded with a fine period of sustained interpassing handling by forwards and backs ending with full-back Adam Whaites scoring wide out. They added a second try from the restart after Bedworth's half break found Malherbe in short support and the South African centre exchanged passes with flanker Allen to power over.

Whaites and Bedworth were again involved in a slick exchange of passes wide out at the end of a blindside move from the back of a scrum for the winger to a record a third try. With Andy Baggett adding a penalty and one conversion, Wharfedale were in charge 20-10 at the interval despite Knowles's penalty just before the break.

Wharfedale added three further converted second-half tries, the first from hooker Gavin Hindle celebrating his 100th league game for the club.

The others followed the sin-binning of lock Lee Brown. Scrum-half James Doherty darted home from short range and flanker Allen scored the last.

Wharfedale: A Whaites; M Bedworth, A Hodgson (L Gray 44), C Malherbe, N Baggett; A Baggett, J Doherty; T Horner, G Hindle (D Charnley 63), C Steel (P Altham 63); D Lister, A Capstick; A Allen, R Lednor, (C Howick 56) D Muckalt.

Halifax: J Knowles; D Hall, O Marns, B Mitchell, G Brear; I Gordon, R Dillon; A Blades, W Kay, (R Townsend 45), S Walsh; L Brown, M Harrison, D Moon, (F Hall 63), G Lewis, R Brown.

Referee: L Pierce (RFU).