YMCA can celebrate at last while 
Newman races in for hat-trick

Have your say

HUddersfield YMCA finally secured their first win of the season in a 31-24 bonus-point derby success over visitors Cleckheaton.

The hosts fell behind to an early penalty but hit back with two tries to lead 14-3. Cleckheaton came back with a score of their own to narrow the margin, only for YM to push out again with two more tries to create an 18-point cushion at half-time.

Cleckheaton were restricted to two tries in the second half by a hard-working defence with Gavin Stead’s penalty keeping the scoreboard ticking over.

Morley slipped to a 35-26 defeat at home to Rossendale, their fourth successive loss, despite a positive start from debutant Dante Van Der Merwe.

The South African full-back took little time in making his mark with a try on just three minutes, captain Mark Chester converting to make it 7-0.

Flanker Luke Watts also scored in the first half but the Maroons were 20-12 down going into the second spell. Left winger Tom Clough pulled back two converted tries to give his side a shot at 28-26 down with three minutes to play, but Rossendale scored an interception try which made sure of the points.

Sandal strengthened their top-of-the-table position with a 51-0 demolition of hosts Beverley.

With five wins from six matches, Sandal were clear favourites against a Beverley side who are second bottom.

Sandal dominated and led 37-0 at half-time through a hat-trick of tries by Gareth Newman, with others coming from James Stewart, Dave Martin, Mark Bease, and two conversions and a penalty by James Ellar.

Sandal continued to dominate but were restricted to two further scores, tries for Tom Cotterill and Joe Allott, both of which were converted by Bease.

Sheffield Tigers’ hopes of a fourth consecutive league win were dashed when a converted penalty try with the last play of the match earned Firwood Waterloo a 21-13 win at Dore Moor.

From being 14-3 down at half-time, Tigers fought back to within one point with five minutes left but were denied even a losing bonus as fly-half Liam Reeve kicked the late conversion.

Reeve had kicked the visitors into an early lead with the first of his two penalties, and winger Matt Crow scored the only try of the first half, Tigers replying with a penalty from full-back Alex Graham.

Pressure from Tigers early in the second half was rewarded with a good forwards’ try, second-row Arron Langan getting the touchdown. Graham converted and then added his second penalty to put them within sight of victory.