Tigers overcome sluggish start to give their promotion hopes a lift

Peterborough 6

Sheffield Tigers 31

SHEFFIELD Tigers boosted their bid for promotion from National Three Midlands with this win.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

But they made hard work of the five-point victory, only leading 7-6 at half-time before stamping their authority on the game.

Peterborough started the scoring with penalties after 10 and 15 minutes from stand-off Duncan Lowe, and although Tigers hit back on 20 minutes with prop Sam Lockwood scoring and stand-off Jonny West adding the extras, their fragile lead was far from convincing.

After the break, Tigers looked a different proposition and broke down Peterborough’s defence.

They extended their lead on 52 minutes with full-back Jon Feeley scoring and West adding the conversion, and left winger James Clark added another on 63 minutes to make it 19-6.

Feeley bagged a second try on 72 minutes which West improved, and right winger Gareth Morley completed the scoring on 80 minutes.

The South Yorkshire side had done their job of securing a bonus point victory away from home, but will be concerned at their inability to shut down sides in the early stages.

Middlesbrough 66

Penrith 15

MIDDLESBROUGH eased their relegation worries in National Three North.

The Cumbrian side had the better of the first half and were unlucky to trail 10-7 at the break.

Middlesbrough drew first blood with prop Craig Chapman scoring after a lineout was driven over, and full-back Simon O’Farrell added the conversion.

Five minutes before the break, Penrith pulled level with winger James Ella scoring wide out and stand-off Steve Wood kicking a difficult conversion.

Middlesbrough edged ahead when, after Penrith were caught offside, O’Farrell kicked a penalty.

The match was level once again when, nine minutes after play resumed, Wood kicking a penalty for Penrith after Middlesbrough were penalised for holding on to the ball.

O’Farrell restored their lead with a 59th-minute penalty, and he could have put the home side further ahead with a couple of other penalties, but Middlesbrough decided to run the ball instead but to no avail.

Penrith took the lead with seven minutes remaining when replacement Simon Davidson touched down. The conversion was missed and when O’Farrell had another penalty in the dying seconds he kicked at goal to claim a one-point victory.

Billingham 22

Beverley 16

BEVERLEY could have few complaints at this disappointing defeat at the hands a rapidly improving Billingham.

In heavy conditions, Beverley monoplolised possession but failed to turn it into points.

After 15 minutes Billingham scored between the posts, flanker Reay scoring for full-back Phil Evans to convert.

They stretched their lead when winger Screen pounced on a loose pass and raced in.

Beverley eventually got going with a penalty by Phil Dale and on the stroke of half-time were awarded a penalty try which Dale converted.

Erly in the second half, Beverley took the lead with another penalty. James Evans and Dale then exchanged penalties before Billingham claimed victory with a try between the posts from Screen which Evans converted.