Wolves 5 Doncaster Rovers 0: Doncaster are ripped apart as hosts ease to victory

DONCASTER Rovers manager Sean O'Driscoll endured a homecoming to forget as his side were torn apart by Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Black Country boy O'Driscoll watched in horror as Rovers were picked to pieces by their Premier League opponents in this FA Cup third round replay.

Although Wolves had only a solitary goal from Stephen Fletcher on the board going into the last half hour, they showed their teeth once Geoffrey Mujangi Bia had doubled the lead.

At the final whistle Rovers had been whalloped 5-0 and, to make matters worse for O'Driscoll, his sisters Joanna and Sheila were celebrating as season ticket holders in the Billy Wright Stand.

Rovers chairman John Ryan had handed over his executive box to the O'Driscoll clan for the original tie, 11 days earlier, at the Keepmoat Stadium.

O'Driscoll looked an angry man at the finish but had admitted before the game that progress in the FA Cup was 'not very important' to Rovers this season.

He had made it clear that he would much rather win at Ipswich Town in the Championship this weekend and will now be able to focus his attention on exactly that without worrying about a fourth round tie.

Coming just days after a 3-0 home defeat by Reading, however, there is growing pressure on Rovers to revive their season, especially if they are to maintain hopes of a push for play-off qualification.

With Matthew Kilgallon ineligible and Joseph Mills ruled out by a knee injury, O'Driscoll made two changes. Midfielder Martin Woods was originally named on the teamsheet but withdrew after the warm-up. His place was taken by Dean Shiels and there was also a recall for James Chambers.

Wolves lost narrowly to Manchester City in the Premier League at the weekend and manager Mick McCarthy made five changes to his side, welcoming back captain Karl Henry and defender Jody Craddock after lengthy injury absences.

George Elokobi was still suspended following his red card at the Keepmoat Stadium, and Serbian international Nenad Milijas, who scored a wonder goal in the original tie, was only on the bench.

Striker Billy Sharp spurned a golden opportunity to put Rovers ahead just moments before Wolves took the lead. Sharp latched onto a sliderule ball from Shiels and had only goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann to beat but his shot was palmed away.

Wolves charged to the other end of the field where Fletcher rose to head in a cross from Stephen Hunt.

Such an early setback was the last thing Rovers needed – with confidence still fragile after the Reading result – but they stuck to their task and slowly began to get a foothold in the game.

There were occasional flashes of the tidy football that has become the club's trademark but rarely a goalscoring opportunity.

Wolves pushed eight men forward wherever possible and left centre-backs Craddock and Stearman guarding lone striker Sharp.

Rovers, in general, tightened up after the early goal although

Mujangi Bia failed to punish a lapse in defensive concentration on 34 minutes when unmarked 10 yards out.

The Belgian winger, making his first start of the season, blazed the ball high over the bar after a good cross from Fletcher.

Shiels appealed, somewhat optimistically, for a penalty after tangling with Henry in the Wolves area but referee Kevin Friend was unimpressed.

Rovers started the second half buoyed by their efforts since the early goal and sensing the possibility of an equaliser.

Both Sharp and Hayter had shots blocked in the area but Wolves rode their luck and weathered the brief storm.

The game was more or less over, however, once Mujangi Bia scored Wolves' second on the hour mark. Rovers failed to deal properly with a cross from Doyle and Mujangi Bia drove the ball home from just inside the area.

Friend ignored a second appeal for a Rovers penalty when James O'Connor was nudged in the back by Mujangi Bia and, soon after, Doyle inflicted more pain with a third goal for the home side.

The Republic of Ireland international advanced down the left, cut inside defender Sam Hird and, with goalkeeper Neil Sullivan

expecting a cross, tucked a low shot in at his near post.

Substitute Matthew Jarvis added a fourth for Wolves with 15 minutes to go, running through on goal before tucking a shot past Sullivan.

David Jones completed the rout in stoppage time – shooting through a crowded penalty area from a corner.

Wolverhampton Wanderers: Hahnemann; Mouyokolo, Craddock, Stearman, Zubar; Mujangi Bia, Henry, Jones, Hunt (Jarvis 69); Doyle (Vokes 78), Fletcher (Ward 78). Unused substitutes: Hennessey, Berra, Milijas, Davis.

Doncaster Rovers: Sullivan; Chambers (Friend 75), Lockwood, Hird, O'Connor; Wilson; Coppinger (Souza 75), Shiels, Oster, Hayter; Sharp (Brooker 82). Unused substitutes: G.Woods, Fairhurst, Webster.

Referee: KA Friend (Leicestershire).