IF the new series of Top Gear were a car, what would it be? A Lada, judging from your reaction.
We asked you on Facebook to say whether you would continue to watch the new show, after the sacking of Jeremy Clarkson, following his steak disgrace at a Yorkshire hotel.
The answer was a near-unanimous no, as you can see from he selection of your comments reproduced below.
Ratings released on Monday show that the episode failed to reach the viewing figures of the last series. It drew 4.4 million viewers, with a peak of 4.7 million, while the last series bowed out with 5.8 million viewers.
However, the show was still the most-watched programme in the 8pm time slot, beating Antiques Roadshow on BBC One and the British Soap Awards on ITV.
New host Chris Evans, who has been dogged by accusations of bullying in the run-up to transmission, took to Twitter to defend the show’s performance.
He wrote: “The new Top Gear is a hit. OFFICIALLY. 23% audience share. 12% MORE than the opening episode of the last series. These are the FACTS.”
The star’s next post said: “Top Gear audience grew throughout the hour. FACT. Won its slot. FACT. Still number one on iPlayer. FACT. These are THE FACTS folks.”
Here is what YOU said. Join the debate here...
• Paul King: I found the new show flat and boring the features pointless and why change the “star in a reasonably priced car”? Unless I am unlucky and change the channel by accident I will not be watching the new Top gear, there is NOTHING top about it, not funny .not informative and it has Chris Evans? Lose, lose and lose. Now when does the new series of 5th Gear start?
• Ben Wright: It wud be ok if he weren’t so giddy and loud as if he’s overacting a will watch next one I just hope he chills out with the false excitement its never gunna be the top gear we know but I’m willing to give it a shot I actually like Chris Evans but he was the downfall on the first episode
• Peter Tarran: No it was rubbish and Chris Evans was to over powering and loud about nothing, bring back the old team or just ditch the programme
• Paul Dove: Sadly no. You can’t beat Clarkson and the team. Tune in and watch them instead. Should have kept him/them or can the attempt of recreating the success. You made your bed BBC, now lie in it!!
• John Appleby: Lasted 5 minutes before Chris Evans did my head in
• Neil Scott: I don’t get all the hate. It was basically the same show with different presenters. I agree Evans is annoying but I thought Le Blanc was really good!
• Betty Blackwood: Will not be tuning in again. Missed the other team and Evans voice really grated on me
• Jacks A Russell: Evans is trying to hard to be like Clarkson, I will watch again as missed half the first episode!
• Marianne Smith: It was ok not as Witty as before, maybe it should have been re named and different then it wouldn’t be compared all the time
• Paul Burton: No, lasted 20 mins of the first episode before Evans’s voice broke me and I had to switch over.
• Ann Walker: never watch the others on Top Gear so will not watch this c*** either
• Sarah Wright; It just isn’t Top Gear any more, safe to say I won’t be watchin it again
• Lisa Ward: Reviews have been mixed? I haven’t seen one favourable review yet! Everyone hated it.
• Ian Leach: Yes - but only because I watch all the car programmes I can get. 6/10 I would give.
• Darren Holmes: It was terrible and an American just didn’t seem to fit with something so traditionally British!
• Paul James Shellabear: I don’t watch it, I only watch the old ones on Dave channel
• Val Collins: You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.