Gelato shop given zero hygiene rating after staff ate from tubs with the same spoon

A gelato shop in Yorkshire has been handed a zero food hygiene rating after two staff members allegedly ate ice cream from its tubs with the same spoon.

Gelato by Harrisons, in Beverley, got the rating after East Riding Council inspectors found rubbish piled up in a side alley, grubby fridge and freezer handles, and a lack of disinfectant. Council inspectors have since ordered that major improvements be made, but LDRS understands no changes were found in a follow-up visit after the first inspection in July.

The council inspection of the ice cream shop, in Toll Gavel, was launched days before a complaint alleging staff were seen tasting ice cream from different tubs. The complainant alleged two female staff were seen using the same spoon to try different flavours of the shop’s ice cream on Friday, July 15.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A council report made following the inspection said the practice, if it occurred, was unhygienic and unacceptable due to the risk of contaminating food. The business, which is owned by the nearby Harrison’s of Beverley, was also not registered with the council but it applied on Tuesday, July 19.

The shop is run by Harrison's of BeverleyThe shop is run by Harrison's of Beverley
The shop is run by Harrison's of Beverley

The report stated inspectors also saw that refuse had built up in a side passage next to the business during the inspection on Thursday, July 14. The shop’s managers were found to be aware that a sink used to clean work tools had no hot water and neither did one for washing hands. A later visit on Monday, July 18 found there the supply of hot water was sporadic and inadequate.

Procedures for disinfecting surfaces and equipment were also found to be inadequate, as well as use of sanitiser and cleaning products. Fridge and freezer handles were both grubby and no soap or blue paper towels were at a sink by a toilet in the lobby during the July 18 visit.

There were no allergen written notices and inspectors found 14 potential ingredients which could have triggered allergic reactions in customers. Inspectors found that staff were telling customers about allergens orally but it was not clear to them anywhere else that they could ask. No documented food safety management system was in place, as required under health regulations.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The light was not working in the toilets and the equipment washing and storage area was found to be in a poor state of repair. The floor covering near the area used for equipment washing was damaged and interior panels were found to be hard to clean as they were made of unsealed wood.

The council has given Gelato by Harrison’s between two weeks and two months to bring the business up to standard on the various findings. Gelato by Harrisons could not be reached for comment.

Related topics: