Yorkshire pub dating back to 18th century set to be renovated and renamed

A pub dating back to the 18th century in York is set to be renovated and renamed to mirror a sister venue in Harrogate.

The Lamb and Lion in High Petergate in the city centre is due to be re-branded as The Fat Badger.

A planning application has been submitted by the owners to rebrand the pub and guesthouse next to Bootham Bar. The group that owns the pub also runs another venue called The Fat Badger in Harrogate.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Under the plans the signs will be replaced, the front of the pub will be repainted, new lights installed outside, vinyls put on the windows and chalkboards put up.

The Lamb and Lion in York (Pic: SWNS)

Inside the pub the bar will be replaced, furniture renewed and the bathrooms redecorated.

A planning statement says: “The property comprises of two grade II-listed buildings, numbers 2 and 2A which was a house and shop circa 1840 and number 4, a house that was constructed in 1782, formerly the Bootham Bar Hotel.

“The proposals seek to maintain the existing appearance of the building externally and internally. The building is listed and makes a positive contribution to the character and diversity of the Conservation Area.

“As this proposal looks to match the new signage works with the existing and change the colour of the shop front there will be no impact on the scale or size of the property.”

The pub is not set to change ownership.

The group that owns the Lamb and Lion also runs York’s Guy Fawkes Inn and Marmadukes Hotel.

Visitors can now book a table in the beer garden the Lamb and Lion from April 12.

The planning application concludes: “On balance, the impact of the proposals upon the significance of the two listed buildings relating to the application site and the designated heritage assets in the surrounding area […] is considered to result in negligible harm, thereby preserving the setting and character of these designated heritage assets.”

The pub is made up of two Grade II-listed buildings which are believed to have previously been a house and a shop, dating back to 1840, and another building constructed in 1782. Click here using reference 21/00406/LBC to view the application.