Bradford man dies in front of daughter after being shot in head with his own gun

A man died in front of his 13-year-old daughter when he was shot through the head with his own gun during a police raid, an inquest jury has heard.

Buckingham Crescent, Bradford where a father shot himself in the head in front of his daughter. (Picture: Google Street View)

Colin Berry, 49, died when a gun went off during a struggle with officers in his bedroom at his home in Bradford.

Bradford coroner Neil Cameron briefly outlined how Mr Berry died to the 11-strong jury today, telling them how eight police officers arrived at his house in Buckingham Crescent to execute a drugs warrant on April 4 2013.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He said some officers went upstairs to the bedroom where Mr Berry was with his daughter, Colleen, now 15.

Mr Cameron said it was in this room where a gun went off during a struggle with the first officer in to the room - referred to as Officer A.

The coroner told the jury of seven men and four women that they will hear from Officer A later in the inquest but he summarised his evidence, saying: “Colin Berry produced a pistol or handgun. There was a struggle. During the struggle the weapon was discharged and Mr Berry sustained the wound from which he died.”

Mr Cameron told the hearing at Bradford Crown Court that the gun involved was a Smith & Wesson handgun.

Home Office pathologist Kirsten Hope told the jury Mr Berry died from a single gun shot wound to the head.

She said the bullet entered his head from underneath his chin and was found up against the top of his skull. Dr Hope said it caused severe damage to Mr Berry’s brain and he would have lost consciousness within seconds and died very quickly.

The pathologist also told the jury she found an L-shaped black mark on the palm of Mr Berry’s left hand. She said ballistics experts called this a “cylinder gap mark” and it was consistent with Mr Berry being in contact with the gun when it was fired.

She said the firing range was “entirely compatible with self-inflicted injury”.

Mr Cameron told the jury they will hear from police that a search of Mr Berry’s home found firearms, drugs and ammunition.

The inquest continues and is expected to end next week.