He is remembered as one of the founders of modern geology, and after he died in 1873 this impressive memorial was commissioned and erected in Dent’s cobbled market place, a team of eight horses transporting the stone into the village. Roughly hewn from a seam of pink granite found nearby, a trough at its base was supplied by a fountain cut into the stone. For a time this was Dent’s only source of drinking water.
Charles Darwin was one of Sedgwick’s students. They visited Wales together on a field trip in the summer of 1831 and kept up a regular correspondence while Darwin was on his famous Beagle expedition. There is exhibition on Sedgwick’s life at the Dent Heritage Centre.