First photos of footballer Jordan Sinnott's killers released

These are the three men whose violent actions killed professional footballer Jordan Sinnott after a dispute in a pub on a night out.

The 25-year-old from Menston, near Bradford, died from a fractured skull after he was assaulted on January 25 in the market town of Retford, Nottinghamshire.

Two men from Retford have now been convicted of Jordan's manslaughter following a trial at Nottingham Crown Court, and a third has pleaded guilty to affray.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Jordan was the son of former Huddersfield Town captain Lee Sinnott and came through the club's youth academy before being offered a senior contract. He was released in 2015 and was playing for non-League side Matlock Town at the time of his death.

Jordan Sinnott was killed on a night out in January

Nottinghamshire Police have released mugshots of Cameron Matthews, 21, - who threw the fatal punch - and Kai Denovan, 22, who also attacked Jordan, as well as their friend Sean Nicholson, 22, who was also involved in the incident.

CCTV footage showing the group's last movements before the assault on Jordan has also been published.

Matthews, Denovan and Nicholson will be sentenced later this week and are likely to be given prison terms.

Denovan denied manslaughter and the case had to go to trial, but he was found guilty and convicted. Matthews and Nicholson admitted the charges against them.

Sean Nicholson, Cameron Matthews and Kai Denovan have been found guilty of causing his death

Jordan was out with two friends on the night of the tragedy when he first came across Cameron Matthews, Kai Denovan and Sean Nicholson inside The Vine pub on Churchgate, Retford.

There was a disagreement over one of the men's physical appearance before Denovan punched Jordan twice. The two groups then went their separate ways, with Jordan and his friends leaving the pub and heading towards Retford’s Market Place.

Denovan and Matthews also left the pub and walked towards the Market Place, with Nicholson following behind. Once Matthews and Denovan caught up with them, Denovan again punched Jordan before Matthews went on to punch him more than once, knocking him to the floor and causing fatal injuries.

Jordan died in hospital surrounded by his family.

Police had to speak to dozens of witnesses, trawl through hours of CCTV footage and investigate forensic evidence before they could charge the three men.

Detective Chief Inspector Rob Routledge, who led the investigation, said: “Jordan was a talented and loved young man who had many promising years ahead of him.

“Matthews’ and Denovan’s actions in the early hours of January 25 cruelly took that future away from Jordan and changed his family’s lives forever. The response to Jordan’s death showed just how much he meant to those who knew him.

“I have been astounded by the courage, strength and integrity of Jordan’s family and friends throughout. They have inspired us all during many long hours of this large and complex investigation.

“Nottinghamshire Police were tireless in conducting this large and complex investigation, and we were determined to hold Matthews and Denovan responsible for their actions. This meticulous work, including speaking to dozens of witnesses and trawling through hours of CCTV, has led to them being brought to justice.

“Life will never be the same for Jordan’s family, but I hope they will get some comfort from justice being served.”

Kai Denovan, 22, of Collins Walk, Retford, pleaded not guilty to manslaughter, affray and common assault but was found guilty on all three counts on July 28 following a trial at Nottingham Crown Court.

Cameron Matthews, 21, of Denman Close in Retford, pleaded guilty to manslaughter at a hearing on July 6 after CCTV showed him striking Jordan.

Sean Nicholson, 22, of Beechways, Retford, pleaded guilty to affray at a hearing on March 2. He was released on bail and will be sentenced now the case is complete.

All three men will be sentenced at Nottingham Crown Court on Friday July 31.