Just like murder: Drug supplier jailed over death of Poppy, 16

THE family of a teenage girl from York who died after taking an illegal drug said it felt as though she had been murdered after the man who supplied it was jailed today.

Ann Rodgers, mother of Poppy Rodgers, with her partner Andy Hinkles outside York Crown Court

Luke Carey, 24, admitted giving methylamphetamine to 16-year-old Poppy Rodgers at a house in York in April last year.

He had boasted to Poppy’s friends that the batch was so strong that it led to the death of a man a year earlier, York Crown Court heard.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Poppy’s father Mark Rodgers was speaking after Carey was jailed for six years and five months.

Poppy Rodgers

Carey admitted seven counts in total, which included another count of supplying the drug, four of offering to supply the drug and one of possession with an intent to supply.

Poppy, an unemployed waitress, had been socialising with friends at a house in the Tang Hall area of the city on the night she died.

One of her friends, Jamie Kelly, was taken to hospital but survived, the court heard.

Carey brought a bag of methylamphetamine, which he said he had been sold at a cut price after it was linked to another death a year earlier, Nicholas Worsley, prosecuting, said.

Luke Carey

Poppy collapsed and was taken to hospital but died as a result of taking the substance, Mr Worsley added.

Police searched Carey’s home and found a bag of the substance with an estimated street value of £1,400, the court heard.

“Luke Carey had taken it himself but had far less in his blood when he was arrested,” Mr Worsley said.

“He was arrested and he was interviewed. He completely denied the offences. He said Poppy was easily led. He said everyone in the house had got their stories together to try to pin the blame on him.

“He said he was being set up by two of the lads in the house.”

Carey, who has no prior convictions, was going to plead not guilty to the charge but changed his plea to guilty on the day he was due to stand trial, added Mr Worsley.