Firefighters were told he was on the balcony and unable to get out of his flat at Gillsike House, on Thornbury Road, Wakefield, when the fire was reported at around 2.20am today (Friday).
A fire service spokesman said: “On arrival the fire was located in a seventh floor flat and the male occupant had managed to self rescue himself.
“He suffered smoke inhalation and was transported to hospital by ambulance for a precautionary check up.”
Four fire crews attended, two from Wakefield and the others from Ossett and Dewsbury.
Firefighters entered with breathing equipment and a jet to put out the blaze.