Redundant driver jailed over cannabis deliveries

A RETIRED lorry driver was arrested after setting up business delivering cannabis.

Solomon Davis, 70, was caught red-handed carrying out the illegal enterprise with 22-year-old Nathan Roberts when his Ford Focus was stopped on Linden Road in the Beeston area of Leeds.

Davis’s lawyer described how he got into selling the drug as part of a “Christian act” to help Roberts’s mother out of financial trouble after she became ill.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Leeds Crown Court heard Davis had worked as a HGV driver for 40 years and had enjoyed the disciplines of the job until he was made redundant four years ago.

On October 1 last year, the pair were followed by officers after intelligence that Davis’s car had been involved in drugs supply.

Roberts was found in possession of five bags of cannabis and 13 more bags were discovered behind an air vent.

Davis, of Garnet Road, Beeston, pleaded guilty to possession of a class B drug with intent to supply. He told officers it was his role to drive Roberts around to deliver the drug. He said he knew what he was doing was illegal but said he did not have a problem with it.

Roberts, of Noster View, Beeston, said his role was to get the drugs in order to sell on.

Sajid Majid, for Roberts, said it was accept that his client played a more significant role. Mr Majid said Roberts was a heavy user of cannabis and was under pressure due to family problems which included his mother being diagnosed with cancer.

Keith Whitehead, for Davis, said his client had been a close friend and neighbour of Roberts’s mother. He had helped the family move house by paying a bond and acting as a guarantor.

Mr Whitehead added: “It is this Christian act that brought him to the commission of these offences.”

The lawyer said Davis became involved after being approached by Roberts and agreed to become involved. Roberts was given a six- month prison sentence, suspended for two years, and ordered to do 200 hours unpaid work.

Davis was given a six-month prison sentence and made the subject of a curfew for three months.

Recorder Mark Gargan said: “Quite how you two got involved in committing such serious offending, I do not know. But it seems to be for financial gain. I doubt you realised how serious it was when you embarked upon this escapade.”