Watch: Wanted man who targeted multiple cash machines across Yorkshire stealing more than £90,000 and causing £60,000 in damage found hiding in tree trunk

A man who targeted multiple cash machines across Yorkshire, stealing more than £90,000 and causing £60,000 of damage, was found hiding from police in a tree trunk, just months after he had been released from prison.

George Tunney, 24, tried to steal cash from ATMs at the Cantley Post Office and Barclays Bank at Lakeside, both in Doncaster, as well as the Barclays Bank in Hessle, near Hull on January 6, last year. He was unsuccessful in getting any money, but caused several thousands of pounds of damage to business owners.

The following day he tried his luck again at the Coop on Dysart Road in Grantham and the Post Office in Mansfield, but was unsuccessful again.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Three days later on January 10, Tunney, of HMP Hull, targeted Spaceways Service Station in Nether Poppleton in York, stealing over £57,000 in cash and causing extensive damage.

JAILED: George Tunney

In a second spate of thefts in March, Tunney targeted The Post Office in Shepshed, Leicestershire, the Jet garage in Adwick near Doncaster and an ATM at the Coop in Starbeck near Harrogate. One of these attempts saw him steal over £35,000 in cash.

Tunney was found by officers from North Yorkshire Police hiding in a tree trunk close to the River Ouse in the early hours of March 10, last year, after a high-speed pursuit of a stolen car, which was driven the wrong way around a roundabout, before travelling on the wrong side of the A64 and crashing into the barriers at the McArthur Glen York Designer Outlet.

Tunney was arrested and charged with numerous offences, including conspiracy to cause explosions, conspiracy to burgle, theft and handling stolen goods.

Read More

Read More
Co-op store bounces back after being targeted by thieves using digger

Tunney appeared at York Crown Court on Monday and was sentenced to 11 years in prison. He was also banned from driving for eight years.

North Yorkshire Police Detective Superintendent, Fran Naughton, said: “The sentence given to Tunney today is a clear demonstration that this type of crime will not be tolerated. Not only did Tunney and his associates endanger many lives through the dangerous use of explosives, some of which were deployed at fuel forecourts, they caused well in excess of £60,000 damage to a number of businesses.

“This has been an extensive investigation, supported through SaferCash and the companies affected by these crimes with many lines of enquiry progressed to ensure these offenders face the consequences of their actions. I would like to thank everyone who played a role in securing a successful outcome for this case.”