West Yorkshire's Mayor welcomes whole life sentence handed to Sarah Everard's murderer Wayne Couzens

Mayor of West Yorkshire Tracy Brabin has welcomed the whole of life sentence handed down to Wayne Couzens today for the kidnap, rape and murder of Sarah Everard, following her abduction in South London.

Wayne Couzens, 48, was handed a whole life order for the "grotesque" killing of the 33-year-old marketing executive which shocked and outraged the nation.

Sentencing at the Old Bailey today (Sept 30), Lord Justice Fulford described the circumstances of the murder as "grotesque".

Read More

Read More
Officer seize more than 70,000 illegal cigarettes hidden in shops across Leeds
Sarah Everard Photo: Family handout/CPS

Tracy Brabin said: “Overwhelmingly, my thoughts remain with Sarah’s family, loved ones, friends, and everyone affected by this truly horrifying incident.

“Although there is little comfort to those who miss Sarah dearly, the sentence handed down today at the very least, means this vile individual will never again be able to harm women in our communities.

“The terrible details of this case are deeply shocking and troubling. Trust in our police service is of the upmost importance and what we’ve heard during this hearing will have undoubtedly caused serious damage, which we must collectively rebuild.

“Sadly, this is not the only incident we have seen nationally where the safety of women and girls is in question and the death of Sabina Nessa in the capital is yet another reminder of why we must urgently address these issues.

Mayor of West Yorkshire Tracy Brabin

“It is a subject which remains a core pledge in my manifesto and is extremely close to my heart, and that of my Deputy Mayor for Policing and Crime. We must do everything in our power, locally and nationally, to turn the tide against gender-based violence and improve safety.”

Couzens strangled Sarah Everard with his police belt after kidnapping her under the guise of a fake arrest for breaking lockdown rules.

Lord Justice Fulford said the seriousness of the case was so "exceptionally high" that it warranted a whole life order.

He paid tribute to the dignity of Ms Everard's family, whose statements in court revealed the human impact of Couzens' "warped, selfish and brutal offending which was both sexual and homicidal".

Couzens shook in the dock as he was sent down to begin his sentence.

The court had heard how Couzens used his Metropolitan Police-issue warrant card and handcuffs to snatch Ms Everard as she walked home from a friend's house in Clapham, south London, on the evening of March 3.

The firearms officer, who had clocked off from a 12-hour shift at the American embassy that morning, drove to a secluded rural area near Dover in Kent, where he parked up and raped Ms Everard.

Ms Everard, who lived in Brixton, south London, had been strangled with Couzens' police issue belt by 2.30am the following morning.

Married Couzens then burned her body in a refrigerator in an area of woodland he owned in Hoads Wood, near Ashford, before dumping the remains in a nearby pond.

He was arrested at his home in Deal, Kent, after police connected him to a hire car he used to abduct Ms Everard, whose remains were found by police dogs on March 10.

Police waited for two hours before moving in to detain the officer, giving him the chance to wipe his mobile phone beforehand.

In an emergency interview at his home, Couzens concocted a fake story that he had been "leant" on by a gang which forced him to hand over "a girl".

He went on to plead guilty to Ms Everard's kidnap, rape and murder and was sacked from the force in July.

On Wednesday, Ms Everard's parents Jeremy and Susan and sister Katie asked Couzens to look at them, condemning him as a "monster" as he sat quaking in the dock with his head bowed.

Met Police Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick also attended court to hear how one of her own officers had abused his position to carry out his crimes.

Prosecutor Tom Little QC suggested the case was so exceptional and unprecedented that it could warrant a whole life order, meaning Couzens would die in jail.

Couzens' defence barrister Jim Sturman QC urged the judge to hand him a lengthy life sentence, meaning he would be eligible for parole in his 80s.

Mr Sturman said: "The defendant was invited to look at the Everards. He could not, I am told.

"He is ashamed. What he has done is terrible. He deserves a very lengthy finite term, but he did all he could after he was arrested to minimise the wicked harm that he did."

Support the YEP and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to local news and the latest on Leeds United. With a digital subscription, you see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Click here to subscribe.