Experts called in after wedding guests taken ill

Experts are trying to get to the bottom of an illness that hit at least 15 guests at a wedding reception, the Health Protection Agency said.

Possible causes for the sudden sickness at the JCB Lakeside Club in Rocester, Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, on Friday night include food poisoning and norovirus, a spokeswoman said today.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Paramedics were called to the social club at about 11.40pm on Friday after 15 people suddenly began suffering diarrhoea and vomiting. Four were taken to hospital but were discharged the same night.