Family in
tearful call to find
teenager’s knife killer

The grandmother of a 16-year-old boy who died in hospital after being stabbed has described him as a “peace-maker” and appealed for information to catch his killers.

Gail Lambe said the family of Kyle Sheehan, who died last Friday after a week-long fight for life, had been through a horrendous ordeal following the attack in Bartley Green, Birmingham.

Speaking at a press conference at West Midlands Police headquarters, Ms Lambe revealed that one of Kyle’s legs had been amputated and his organs had failed as medics tried to save him.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Appealing for witnesses to the stabbing to come forward, the 55-year-old said: “It’s just been horrendous. Kyle went through such a lot.

“Somebody needs to come forward and let us know (what happened) because we’re in limbo now.”

Kyle, who was stabbed in the leg in Jiggins Lane on Friday September 21, died last Friday.

His grandmother appeared at the news conference alongside the teenager’s mother, 34-year-old Hayley Sheehan, who repeatedly wiped away tears with a tissue as her relative urged witnesses to make contact with detectives.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Ms Lambe continued: “Kyle had lots and lots of friends and somebody needs to speak to the police. Don’t let him die in vain.

“We need justice for what happened to him.

“He was 16, a cheeky devil at times, but he was just lovely and he was very well-liked. He was called a peace-maker and, bless him, this is what’s happened.”

Police said the motive for his murder remained unclear, but was not gang-related or racially-motivated.

Detective Chief Inspector Wayne Jones, who is leading the murder inquiry, said: ““From the people we have already spoken to, it would appear that there was some sort or argument between some young people who were in the park which quickly escalated.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“Kyle was stabbed in the groin but managed to hobble away and told a friend he’d been stabbed.”

Police were alerted to the stabbing at around 10.15pm on September 21 when they received a 999 call from a member of the public.

When officers arrived they found Kyle lying on the ground, bleeding heavily from his leg and in a critical condition.

Four people arrested as part of the investigation have been released on police bail.