Family of six rescued from burning home after ‘candle fire’

Two adults and four children were rescued from their burning home at about 3am today.

l

The fire broke out in the bathroom of the house on Gibraltar Avenue, Halifax.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Fire crews from Halifax and Illingworth were at the scene within minutes of the call, which was made at 3.08am.

A spokesman said two adults and four children were all taken to hospital suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation, adding one adult had suffered burns to their hands as a result of tackling the fire.

It is understood the fire started after a candle was left burning in the bathroom. A fire service spokesman said there were also no smoke alarms fitted in the property.