Girls hurt in camping stove blast at park

Two girls were recovering in hospital today after they were injured when a gas camping stove exploded.

The 11-year-olds suffered serious burns in the explosion at Wicksteed Park in Kettering, Northamptonshire, and had to be taken to hospital by air ambulance.

A spokeswoman for Warwickshire & Northamptonshire Air Ambulance (WNAA) said crews were called out at 6.30pm on Saturday, arriving within 10 minutes.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

She said: "Two 11-year-old girls were camping with family when they were involved in an accident with a gas camp stove.

"The two young patients received burns to their face, neck, chest, arms and legs and needed urgent medical attention."

Owing to the serious nature of the call, the Midlands Air Ambulance was also sent to the scene.

She said doctors on board treated the girls, giving them pain relief and dressing their wounds, before airlifting them to Birmingham Children's Hospital.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The pair were said to be in a "serious but stable" condition.

WNAA director of air operations and clinical services Dominic Tolley said: "This mission was a great team effort.

"I am glad that the two air ambulance services and our doctors were able to give our young patients the best possible care."