Hatton owns up in TVinterview to drug use
The 31-year-old, who is to be investigated by police over allegations he snorted cocaine in a hotel room, was admitted to a rehabilitation clinic on Monday.
During an interview on ITV’s Daybreak, Hatton who was secretly filmed taking what is alleged to be lines of the class A drug on a night out, admits he “dabbled in it” while struggling to deal with the humiliation of sporting lows.
Acknowledging he “upset fans”, he says: “Sorry is not a big enough word for what I want to say to them.” The father-of-one, who is unable to remember when he first took cocaine – or how frequently – insists his life went down hill after he retired from the sport.
Asked if he used the class A drug while boxing, he replies: “No. Never, never.”
And he tells correspondent John Stapleton: “I’ve been in such a low place, such a bad place I couldn’t tell you. Half the time I could not tell you if it was cocaine.”
Hatton has previously attributed his fall from grace to his retirement. But he admits he has also struggled with problems in his personal life.
“I have a wonderful son, nine years old and me and his mam at times have not seen eye to eye,” he says.
The star, who claims at times he was only able to see the little boy once a week, also speaks of his parents saying: “When I told them I was retiring I got the impression they didn’t really care too much.”
The two-weight world champion, who has not fought since May 2009, adds: “I’ve upset my fans, my family, everybody that has been with me from day one. Sorry is not a big enough word for what I want to say to them.”
Hatton is to be interviewed by police once his rehabilitation is complete.