Injured teenager's parents appeal to witnesses

THE PARENTS of a teenage girl who is still critically ill in a Yorkshire hospital after a car crash which killed her boyfriend and two of her friends have paid tribute to the medical staff battling to save her.

Jonathan Scott, his best friend Robert Tepper and Lauren Birkett were all in 17-year-old Jonathan's silver Vauxhall Corsa when it collided head-on with a Volkswagen Golf in Adwick-upon-Dearne, South Yorkshire at the beginning of the week.

Apprentice mechanic Jonathan, who was driving, and 17-year-old Robert were pronounced dead at the scene.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The two girls, both 16, initially survived the crash but Lauren died from her injuries in Rotherham General Hospital.

Jonathan's girlfriend, Chloe Newby, remained in a "critical but stable" condition in Doncaster Royal Infirmary.

In a statement released yesterday, her parents said: "Chloe is a student at Mexborough School specialist science college where she is studying for her A-levels.

"She has had previous involvement with Mexborough Youth Club where she is well-known and liked.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"We would ask for people not to jump to conclusions about the incident and to assist the police with all enquiries, passing any information to South Yorkshire Police on 0114 2202020.

"We would like to thank all staff at Doncaster Royal Infirmary who have been brilliant in their care of Chloe and professional throughout.

They added: "Our hearts and minds are with the families of the deceased."

The crash happened just after 8pm on the evening of Monday, December 27 when the Corsa, which was travelling away from Mexborough, tried to overtake a silver Fiat Punto but collided with the oncoming Golf.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The 56-year-old man who was driving the Golf suffered a broken collarbone.

Moments earlier a Vauxhall Astra, which is thought to have been travelling with the Corsa, had successfully overtaken the Punto.

Both the driver of the Astra and the driver of the Punto, aged 18 and 19, were arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

Both of them have now been bailed, pending further enquiries.