Nine people taken to hospital after burning microwave filled Huddersfield house with smoke

Nine adults and children have been taken to hospital today after a fire broke out in a house in Huddersfield.

The fire broke out at a house in Thomas Street, Thornton Lodge. Picture: Google

Firefighters were called to the property in Thomas Street, Thornton Lodge, shortly after 9.30am when it was reported that the group were trapped by smoke on the first floor.

A West Yorkshire Fire Service spokesman said: "The control room operator gave fire survival guidance to the occupants while appliances were en route.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

"They managed to get onto a flat roof from where they were rescued by fire crews using a short extension ladder."

The crews from Huddersfield and Rastrick used four sets of breathing apparatus when they entered the property, which had no working smoke detectors fitted.

They found a small fire involving a microwave oven had created the smoke, which was cleared using a high power fan.

The spokesman said: "All nine people - a mixture of male and female adults and children - were transported to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation."