RE Tom Richmond’s column on the deaths of Christi and Bobby Shepherd (The Yorkshire Post, July 18) in the Corfu holiday home tragedy and the Parliamentary debate led by Wakefield MP Mary Creagh.
It is my view, for what it’s worth, that people have to take some responsibility for their own safety.
I accept that the boiler where one is staying on holiday must be just about the last thing one thinks of, but the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning is common knowledge.
I seem to remember reading that the heating installation in question was visibly dilapidated.
Even though my own boiler is only a couple of years old, I switch it off at night except when it is exceptionally cold just to be on the safe side.
Interesting that although everyone seems to be against EU diktats, you advocate introducing one yourself.
I note that there are around 40 deaths per year in the UK due to carbon monoxide poisoning as compared with around 5,000 deaths in the home due to accidents in general and 3,000 deaths on the roads.
With finite resources, where would you spend your money to save the most lives?