Northallerton Prison

See inside Northallerton's 18th-century abandoned prison

Northallerton Prison is about to be redeveloped and a new retail park built on the site of the Georgian jail.

Our photographer visited the site ahead of the arrival of a Lidl store and other retail units on the land. Five of the complex's listed buildings will be retained. Northallerton Prison opened in 1788 and a women's wing was added in 1818. The governor's house and two more wings were built in the 1820s and 1850s. During this period the jail housed the world's largest treadmill for the punishment of inmates, who were set to work on it to grind corn. It closed in 1922 and was transferred to the army for use as a military prison. It later became a young offenders' institute, and ended its operational life as a category C/D men's prison before its closure in 2013. The site is going to be part of a new leisure, retail and residential development called, aptly enough, Treadmills, with the Lidl supermarket and an Everyman boutique cinema as anchor tenants The historic buildings, which include the governor's house, will be converted and brought back into use.

Around 250 prisoners could be accommodated in Northallerton's jail

1. Ghosts of the past

Around 250 prisoners could be accommodated in Northallerton's jail
Buy a Photo
An abandoned cell at Northallerton Prison

2. Abandoned

An abandoned cell at Northallerton Prison
Buy a Photo
Property developers have now moved in to clear the site and convert the listed buildings

3. New era

Property developers have now moved in to clear the site and convert the listed buildings
Buy a Photo
The Georgian jail had a harsh regime with severe punishments and hard labour for prisoners

4. House of correction

The Georgian jail had a harsh regime with severe punishments and hard labour for prisoners
Buy a Photo
View more