Sheffield gunman jailed for 19 years

A MAN who shot his victim in both legs at close range has been jailed for 19 years.

Omar Ahmed, 25, of Nesfield Way, Firth Park, was found guilty of shooting a 37-year-old Sheffield man yesterday following a trial at Sheffield Crown Court.

The gunman was tracked down by police 18 months after the shooting took place after an argument outside a Wicker takeaway.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

It was forensic examination of the firearm that ultimately led to Ahmed’s arrest in October 2014, when he was stopped by two officers who saw his vehicle go through a red light on Burngreave Road.

A check found that the vehicle was being driven with no insurance and the officers pursued the vehicle using their blue light.

The driver pulled over, but sped over when officers got out of their car. It was followed to Osgathorpe Road where the driver fled from the car and ran toward a flat complex where he was stopped and arrested.

Information was received that the male had thrown a bag into a garden while being pursued by officers.

The bag was retrieved and found to contain a semi-automatic handgun. Tests on the handgun linked it to the incident in April 2013. Ahmed was positively identified and arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

Detective Constable Leigh Fontana, who oversaw this part of the case said: “These officers were relentless in their pursuit of Ahmed and they were able to prevent him fleeing the scene.

“A search of the vehicle also uncovered a large hammer, balaclava and a bag of white powder.”

Ahmed was jailed for 14 years for wounding charge and five years for the possession of the firearm to run consecutively. He received a further two years for possession of ammunition to run concurrently.

He was found not guilty of attempted murder.

Investigating Officer Detective Constable Lamb said: “It is testament to everyone involved in all stages of the investigation, including the victim who showed great courage and fortitude and the officers that chased down Ahmed, that he is now facing a significant period of time behind bars.

“This was a ruthless and violent attack which could have resulted in the loss of life.

“Fortunately, the victim survived the shooting and the offender has been brought to justice.”