Warning as wrong charger on e-cigarette sparks house blaze in Yorkshire

Fire chiefs have issued a warning after a blaze was started by an incorrect charger being used on an e-cigarette.

The e-cigarette and the blaze conditions. Photo: West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service

West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service was called to a fire after an exploding lithium-ion battery in an e-cigarette set fire to a mattress.

-> Police officer 'has never sprinted so fast' to rescue dog left in hot car in LeedsThe blaze began after an incorrect charger was used.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The fire service said: "Just because the plugs fit doesn't make it a suitable charger. Always use the charger supplied by the manufacturer."

The wrong charger and the e-cigarette. Photo: West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service

These photos show the extent of the devastation caused by the fire.

The fire on the mattress. Photo: West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service