Woman injured after barbeque explodes

A MUM who turned into a “human fireball” after a barbeque exploded at a cricket match says she was saved by a friend’s quick-thinking.

Hayley Hassard, 45, suffered burns to her legs, her behind and back, after her dress caught fire in the incident in Cottingham near Hull on July 21.

The mum-of-two believes she was saved from worse injuries after family friend Angie Hall “rugby tackled” her to the ground to put out the flames.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Hayley, who was attending a with her father, husband and two sons, said: “Angie probably saved my life and certainly saved me from much more severe burns. If she hadn’t been there I don’t know what would have happened.”

Hayley, of West Hull, was standing at the barbeque ordering burgers for her family when she saw flames shoot up from the coals and urged Angie, who was nearby, to move away.

Hayley said: “Suddenly, there was an explosion and I looked down and realised my dress was on fire. I tried to put it out but couldn’t.

“The next thing I knew I was being rugby tackled to the ground by Angie who just rolled me over and over until the flames went out.”

Angie Hall, 53, said her training in fire and first aid she’s received through her job at a care home kicked in: “There was this enormous bang and then someone shouted ‘Hayley’s on fire’. Hayley was just this fireball and she was trying to put out her dress.

“I just pushed her to the ground and started rolling her. At one point I stopped and she ignited again so I kept on rolling. When the paramedic came he couldn’t believe I’d had to roll her for half a rugby pitch. Afterwards, I didn’t sleep for two days and then on the third day I had a good cry.

“I don’t think I’m a hero I just did what I am trained to do.”

Hayley - who thinks the explosion was caused when fuel was added to the barbeque - now faces several weeks off work. She is considering claiming compensation with the help of Neil Hudgell Solicitors.