Nearly 30 insurgents, including seven suicide bombers, swarmed Camp Bastion in southern Helmand province, said the deputy head of the Afghan National Army in the province, Ghulam Farooq Parwani.
British forces handed over Camp Bastion to the Afghan army in late October as part of a transition that will see the US and Nato combat mission end on December 31. The Taliban claimed the latest attack.
Also in Helmand, two police officers were killed and two wounded in a suicide attack on their vehicle in Nawzad district, police said.
In eastern Nangahar province, 31 people were wounded when a mosque was bombed during Friday prayers, said Niamatullah Noorzai, the chief of volatile Khogyani district. No one claimed the attack.
Yhe Afghan government’s support for a continued international military presence has incensed the insurgents, who are intensifying their war against the administration of President Ashraf Ghani.
Immediately after his September inauguration, Mr Ghani signed bilateral security agreements with the US and Nato, and he has made clear his intention to bring peace to Afghanistan, which has been at war for the past 30 years.
Kabul has seen almost daily attacks in recent weeks, as insurgents turn their attention to foreign targets.
Yesterday, a suicide attacker in a car filled with explosives struck a British Embassy vehicle on a busy road in the east of the capital, killing a British security guard and an Afghan driver.
Yesterday, another attack claimed by the Taliban was launched against a guesthouse occupied by a US logistics contractor, Aecom Technology Corporation, according to police and security officials.
Deputy interior minister Mohammad Ayoub Salangi confirmed the target of the attack was a guesthouse in the diplomatic quarter.
He said no foreigners had been killed.
“One Nepalese guard was wounded, but all the foreigners are fine,” he said. Three attackers were killed, two by Nepalese guards at the guesthouse.
“One of the attackers blew himself up,” he added.