The unbeaten Sheffield light-welterweight last month earned the right to be the IBF mandatory challenger with a third-round demolition of Hector Saldivia, but suggested afterwards he may opt to pursue a domestic grudge match with Khan instead.
But after talks with Hearn, the 26-year-old looks set to head Stateside in January for a fight with current belt holder Devon Alexander, who won the title last month with a points win over Randall Bailey.
Brook and Khan have made no secret of their dislike for each other over recent times, and an all-British tear-up would, no doubt, sell out many an arena.
Hearn has told his man that fight can still happen, but has advised him to take on Alexander first.
“We’ve agreed terms in principle with Golden Boy to take the fight on January 19 and now we’ll progress to contracts,” said Hearn. “I don’t see any problems with making that happen, the only thing that won’t happen is for it to be in St Louis, which is Alexander’s home town, so it’ll be New York or Las Vegas and it’ll be a great fight.”