Driffield left stunned as Montgomery strikes to steal victory from grasp

A dramatic last-gasp try from James Montgomery saw Wheatley Hills take a 17-15 victory over Driffield after the visitors had gone ahead deep into injury time only moments earlier.

Tom Buckenham and Tom White had put the ball down for Wheatley and Driffield had made it a close contest with Mike Black and Alistair McClaren also weighing in with tries.

Then, with seconds remaining, Sam Fairbank saw his penalty converted after hitting the post and the points seemed Driffield-bound. But straight from the restart, the ball was sprayed out to Montgomery and he touched down in the corner for the win.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

After a couple of poor displays in recent weeks, Pocklington ran out 29-5 winners over Middlesbrough.

Right-winger Billy Hardy scored twice in the first half and others came from flanker Ben Stephenson and left winger Tim Nixon, with Nick Bennett kicking one conversion.

Full-back Charlie Allen, who had switched from centre to full-back, scored under the posts and added the conversion himself to put his side 29-0 ahead. Flanker Matt John scored for Middlesbrough.

Cleckheaton took the three-hour bus trip to Alnwick in their stride and four unanswered first-half tries for Rich Piper (2), Matt Piper and Martin Woodhead earned them a bonus point win.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Alnwick showed commendable spirit at the start of the second half and took the game to their visitors, earning a try for Sordy.

As the match entered the final quarter there were two further tries for Alex Dawson and James Wilson, securing the visitors a comfortable 40-7 win.

James Twomey’s brace gave Sheffield a win 22-16 over Northern.

It was Twomey who opened the scoring after 12 minutes before Donal Collins clawed three points back for Northern two minutes later.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Andrew Kelly’s try with Jimmy Pearson’s conversion and a try from David Ellis gave Sheffield the lead at the break and they finished the job in the second thanks to Twomey.

Huddersfield YMCA made it three wins out of three with a crushing 61-17 success over Malton and Norton – Mark Whitehead scoring a hat-trick of tries.

The No 8 scored two of his tries before the break, with winger Adam Ryder and centre Ed Barber (2) also going over the line, giving the home side a 35-10 half-time lead.

After the restart, Whitehead grabbed his third before Tom Sharrock extended the advantage. Fly-half Gavin Stead finished off the scoring with two converted tries to add to his seven kicks.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Old Crossleyans ended five defeats with a hard-fought 28-20 success at home to Morpeth. Full-back Joe Baker’s try and a conversion and penalty from Chris Vine were answered by penalties from the visitors.

Crossleyans’ flanker James Wainwright then scored in the corner, with Vine converting.

In the second half, the opposition’s try and three penalties were answered by two kicks from Vine, who then added a try to edge a tight encounter.