‘Majority at our level need furlough scheme’ says Bradford City’s Stuart McCall

Bradford City manager Stuart McCall says he hopes football clubs that do not need it will not exploit the Government’s furlough scheme, but says it is essential for clubs at their level.

The Bantams have used the Government’s Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme to furlough staff and players. Under it, the Government will cover 80 per cent of their wages while they are put on leave, keeping their jobs. Businesses are not obliged to, but Bradford will pay the remaining 20 per cent.

Doncaster Rovers, Huddersfield Town, Middlesbrough and Sheffield Wednesday have done likewise with their non-playing staff and in the case of League One, Doncaster, players.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

York City have furloughed all employees and Hull City have done it to the majority of their non-playing staff. The scheme only covers up to a maximum of £2,500 per month per individual, so the Tigers have promised to ensure anyone falling foul of that will still receive their 80 per cent, while York chairman Jason MacGill has said he will pay 80 per cent of wages to any staff who do not return to work when funding from the scheme ceases.

Stuart McCall: ‘Hopefully, everyone has a conscience,’ says the Bantams manager.

For many if not all of these clubs, using the scheme has been necessary to guard against them going bust with football indefinitely suspended, cutting off vital revenue. There has, however, been criticism of Tottenham, Newcastle and Liverpool using it, too, though the Anfield club went back on their decision.

“It’s a good call to protect jobs,” said McCall of the furlough scheme. “The majority at our level need to do it.

“I can see the argument with Premier League clubs, although they’ve obviously got bigger outgoings. It’s all in proportion.

“You don’t want to see anyone taking advantage of this furlough scheme. Hopefully, everyone has got a conscience. But it’s reasonable to accept that clubs in the lower divisions will be doing it.”

The Football League have set up a short-term relief fund for its clubs and while welcome, the Bantams are only expected to receive £164,200 initially, with the opportunity to borrow up to another £120,000 as an interest-free loan.

Editor’s note: first and foremost - and rarely have I written down these words with more sincerity - I hope this finds you well.

Almost certainly you are here because you value the quality and the integrity of the journalism produced by The Yorkshire Post’s journalists - almost all of which live alongside you in Yorkshire, spending the wages they earn with Yorkshire businesses - who last year took this title to the industry watchdog’s Most Trusted Newspaper in Britain accolade.

And that is why I must make an urgent request of you: as advertising revenue declines, your support becomes evermore crucial to the maintenance of the journalistic standards expected of The Yorkshire Post. If you can, safely, please buy a paper or take up a subscription. We want to continue to make you proud of Yorkshire’s National Newspaper but we are going to need your help.

Postal subscription copies can be ordered by calling 0330 4030066 or by emailing [email protected] Vouchers, to be exchanged at retail sales outlets - our newsagents need you, too - can be subscribed to by contacting subscriptions on 0330 1235950 or by visiting www.localsubsplus.co.uk where you should select The Yorkshire Post from the list of titles available.

If you want to help right now, download our tablet app from the App / Play Stores. Every contribution you make helps to provide this county with the best regional journalism in the country.

Sincerely. Thank you.

James Mitchinson

Editor